July 29, 2013

Budapest, Belated: Part I


About six weeks ago I went to Budapest for a work conference but I never got around to posting photos! 

It was my first time visiting, and even though work kept me pretty busy, I managed to steal away to visit the city a bit and take a lot of photos! 


Hungary is a delightful mix of Eastern and Western Europe. Every time I got distracted into thinking I might be wandering around France or Italy I'd see something distinctly soviet or hear someone speaking Hungarian--which is quite an earful of a language! 


But the architecture was beautiful, the food was delicious, and the people were so so friendly (language barriers aside). I'm so glad I had the chance to visit, if only for five days. 




When we arrived there had been a week or so of historic flooding, which you could clearly see from our hotel, which was on the banks of the Danube.




There was so much beautiful detailing on all the buildings, most of which were built at the turn of the 20th century.









Because of the flooding they had to build special platforms to get to the boats, since all the docks were under water! 


The pedestrian underpass was totally flooded! 




A ticket booth, totally underwater! 





Cold sour cherry soup for dinner! 


Beautiful sunset on the Danube.



The State Opera House



I visited the House of Terror, the former Nazi and Communist Headquarters, now a museum. It was really difficult to see all the horrors that were committed--especially visiting the basement, in which original cells and torture chambers were left untouched--but it was extremely educational, and I learned a lot about that part of history.











An abandoned castle in the middle of the city.




A gorgeous sunset over Chain Bridge.






The palace.












Reagan going for a walk! 











Stay tuned for Part II! 


No comments: