May 24, 2013

Fascinating!

Saturday, June 8th is the Belmont Stakes, New York's version of the Kentucky Derby, and a day of big hats, beautiful horses, and lots of seersucker.

The last two years, I rocked my giant hat (winning a self-awarded prize for Biggest Hat at the Belmont), but this year I want to try something a little different.

My friend Rhiannon will be visiting that weekend, and we thought we'd up the ante and not only go with fascinators, but make them ourselves!

We all know DIY is kind of my thing, but I've never dabbled in millinery, so this will be my first time trying my hand at hat making!

There's a notions shop in the garment district that carries everything we'll need (straw hat bases, ribbons, feathers, pins, jewels) but before I go I'll need a little design inspiration, so I turned to Etsy to see what's what.

Steering clear of the bridal fascinators (and there are a lot), these are the ones I found that struck my fancy.


A 1920s vibe

A nod to Alice in Wonderland 
Tiffany Blue

Dramatic Black
A Widdle Bunny Wabbit

This gorgeous latte-colored straw ribbon

I do love the look of a traditional hat with feathers and bows, but there's something to the novelty of sticking a fur bunny on a felt dessert plate and calling it a hat...

Which one is your favorite? 


No comments: