March 18, 2013

NYC Half Marathon!

Yesterday was my second time running the NYC Half Marathon (and my third time running a half marathon ever) and it went super great! 

It's usually on St. Patty's day weekend (this year right on St. Patty's day) so green is definitely part of the style. Not sure why the walls look green though...


Two of my roommates, Shannon and Amber, and our friend Elizabeth all ran it with me. 


Shannon and I got lucky with the lottery and got into the race officially, while Amber and Elizabeth didn't, but decided to "rogue run" the race anyway. 



Shannon and Amber are training for a full marathon in Paris in April, so being already at mile 20 of their training, this 13-mile half wasn't a big deal, but it was still fun to have them!


We're so green! 




We got there at the ungodly hour of 7am when the sun was rising,



but as we waited to start it got more light, although not warmer; it was freezing! 


We started off with a 6-mile loop of Central Park and so by the time we ran down 7th Ave through Times Square my toes had defrosted and we were about halfway done.



My selfie skills, while running, are not excellent!




By the time we crossed over to the West Side Highway, the stretch between miles 8 and 13, the sky had cleared and it was a crisp, sunny, beautiful morning.


At 20k we crossed under into a tunnel for a little while, which was fun but also a little bit claustrophobic. 


When we came out of the tunnel we only had 800 meters to go, which I sprinted! 


I finished the race in 1 hour 58 minutes, which was 2 minutes less than my goal time and puts me squarely into a sub-two time! My average pace was exactly 9:00 minutes/mile!

That's a huge improvement from our time for last year's half, which was 2 hours 10 minutes, at a 9:56 pace. I shaved almost an entire minute off each mile! (Although last year our goal was to finish in less than 2 hours 30 minutes, so we beat our goal then, too!)

Yay for personal accomplishments!


Showing off our medals in the subway home.


Rocking a thermal cape on the walk home. 

When I got home and unloaded all my stuff it was like the race had vomited all over my bed! 


I wish I could pat myself on the back for a job well done and take a break, but I'm already a couple of weeks into my training for a 15k in April and the Brooklyn Half in May, both of which I'm running with Andrea, so I'll have to get back to it this week. 

And then we'll only have about 6 weeks off in May and June before our training for the NYC Marathon starts in July! Long runs are mostly on Saturday mornings, so we've effectively kissed my Friday nights on the town goodbye for the next nine months. 

It'll be tough, but I'm looking forward to it!


No comments: