December 4, 2012

Good News!


So a few weeks ago I mentioned I had some good news but I didn't want to jinx it by sharing it too early. 


Well, it's now official and there's no way for me to jinx it anymore, so I thought I'd share! 

I finally got a job! 

I've been "working" since I graduated from SIPA this summer, but it hasn't really been anything serious. Besides some substantive freelance editing I did on a friend's dissertation, I was mostly temping at random offices, doing everything from answering phones, filing paperwork, and even fashion and beauty blogging for StyleList (first and probably last time I'll ever get paid to pin stuff on Pinterest!) 

But that was only to be able to afford staying in New York while I looked for a real job, which I've been doing since the middle of last semester. 

In August I interviewed for the position of Program Coordinator for the Office of Programs (I know, a mouthful) for Open Society Foundations.

I didn't hear back from them until the middle of November (until then I thought they'd filled the position), so it was a spectacular surprise when they called to tell me I'd gotten the job! 

OSF is a non-profit founded by billionaire philanthropist George Soros in the late 1970s. Originally started in Hungary to undermine the control of the Communist Party by increasing access to information and media, over the last 30 plus years it's grown into a huge foundation that funds dozens of human rights and social justice initiatives in over 70 countries. 

Ending up in an organization like this one is why I went back to school, so I'm extremely excited about working here! 

Plus it's super close to my house (20 minute commute) and the benefits are incredible. I feel so lucky!

Yesterday was my first day, which went very smoothly (aside from some inevitable IT glitches), and I'm looking forward to being here for a while! 

Yay employment! 


4 comments:

Karen Pior said...

Lots and lots of congratulations to you. Such a worthy Foundation. Wonderful. Cheers, Karen

Crystal @ 29 Rue House said...

Nice Julia! It sounds like an aweseome opportunity!

J. said...

Congrats! Sounds like a perfect fit for you!

Leesh said...

Congrats on the job! I wish you much success in this new endeavour.

I am a program coordinator too!