My first storm sewing project--an ivory and black lace skirt I made from leftover lace--didn't actually take me that long.
So when I finished the skirt but still had several episodes of Downton Abbey to watch, I settled in with another project: repurposing a thrifted blazer I got with my mom when she was visiting last weekend.
We were heading to the East Village for dinner, but we were a little bit early, so to kill some time, we popped into a thrift store on 2nd Ave. It was overrun with halloween costumes, but still had some interesting finds in the back.
We found this amazing 100% wool Anne Taylor blazer in excellent condition (tag still on), that was practically perfect except for the cut, which was a little long for me. But it was only $11 and I knew I could work with it, so we snatched it up.
The fit was perfect, so I wanted to do something that would flatter the fitted silhouette.
I finally decided to crop the front, slope it downward toward, and cut a vent in the back. It reminds me of a riding jacket, or a man's dress coat with tails.
I think it'll look super cute worn casually with jeans and boots, as well as dressed up with a pencil skirt and blouse.