November 15, 2012

Recipe: Sticky Toffee Pudding

After reading this review of the Sticky Toffee Pudding at John Dory Oyster Bar in Chelsea, I became obsessed with it. 


How could I not be? 

Look how delicious! 


[Photograph: Kathy YL Chan] via Serious Eats

My old roommate Amanda (who I hadn't seen in too long) and I were both working in Chelsea a few weeks ago, so we decided to meet up here to catch up over a glass of wine and a delicious taste of this scrumptious pudding. 


I have to say, it ended up looking much better than it tasted. 


It was a little dry, there wasn't enough caramel sauce, and the "early grey infused" whipped cream was anything but. 


But the idea got in my head, so a few days later I decided to try it at home to serve with a delicious Sunday dinner that my roommate Amber was cooking up. 


This one was much much better. 

Not as pretty, but much tastier!

Sticky Toffee Pudding
Adapted from the Food Network

Ingredients:

Toffee Sauce

  • Pudding
  • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 cup pitted dates (I didn't have dates so I used raisins and it was delicious)
  • 1 1/4 cups boiling water
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch round or square baking dish. Sift the flour and baking powder onto a sheet of waxed paper. Chop the dates fine. Place in a small bowl and add the boiling water and baking soda; set aside. In a bowl of electric mixer beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla; beat until blended. Gradually beat in the flour mixture. Add the date mixture to the batter and fold until blended with a rubber spatula. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake until pudding is set and firm on top, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven to a wire rack. Toffee Sauce: Combine the butter, heavy cream and brown sugar in a small heavy saucepan; heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil gently over medium low heat until mixture is thickened, about 8 minutes. Preheat broiler. Spoon about 1/3 cup of the sauce over the pudding. Spread evenly on top. Place pudding under the broiler until the topping is bubbly, about 1 minute. Serve immediately spooned into dessert bowls. Drizzle with toffee sauce and top with a spoonful of whipped cream.
***

It was a huge hit and I plan on making it for both Thanksgiving festivities I'll be attending--a Thanksgiving Pot Luck for my Book Club and my family Thanksgiving at home. 

Bon appetit! 


1 comment:

Jimmy So said...

Julia made this for us for our "He's Just Not That Into You" book club and I can attest to its greatness. The pudding, not the book.