October 31, 2012

Storm Sewing: Lace Mini Skirt

Earlier this week, as many of us here in New York City prepared for and hunkered down during Hurricane Sandy, we had to keep ourselves entertained, as we couldn't go outside. 

I baked some hurricane cookies, put on season three of Downton Abbey, and then got to work on a sewing project that had bit sitting in my "To Sew" basket for far too long. 

Remember this spring when I repurposed a beautiful vintage lace dress my mother gave to wear to SIPA Gala? 



Well, I had some extra lace left over from cutting off the bottom, which I saved because it was so beautiful. I always knew I wanted to make it into a short gathered skirt, and--after six months--finally got around to making it! 

A bit blurry


There's a black grosgrain ribbon waistband, which is a bit hard to see against the black top. 

After removing the hem trim on the original dress, the edge of the lace was scalloped, so I just left it, since it was less boring than a straight hem, and I knew it wouldn't fray. 

And the best part? It was more than free! Since it was left over fabric from an already free dress! 

I can't wait to wear it this fall--with black tights and booties and a sweater--and next spring--with flats and a light blouse. 


No comments: