August 28, 2012

Herb Garden

When I was in Uruguay in March,
I saw the most beautiful little herb garden on the sidewalk outside of a florist:
 
 
It was so fresh and green and fragrant, and I haven't been able to get it out of my head.
 
I want one.
 
But it was still winter in New York when I got back--not a good time for leaving living things outside--and then I had exams and graduation and the job search and then my roommates started packing to move out, and before I knew it, it was the end of August and I still didn't have my herb garden!
 
But this week my old roommates are moving out (sadface) and my new roommates are moving in (yay!) and we started planning on what to do with the balcony.
 
Lucky for me (though not for my girlish figure) they all love to cook, so cramming the balcony with herbs is an idea that appeals to all of them.
 
The thing is, our balcony is big, but it's not huge, so we have to be strategic about where and how to place all our plants. So I of course took to Pinterst for some ideas.
 
Rosemary . Thai Basil . Bay Leaves . Curly Parsley . Basil
Mint . Celery . Tarragon . Lemon Balm .  Catnip
{via}
 
I love this tiered stand the individual hebs and the big aluminum tub for basil:
 
{via}
 
Otherwise a hanging window box would be perfect over the edge of our balcony--and would clear more space on the floor--but it wouldn't be as pretty to look at from inside.
 
{via}
I can't wait! I hate having to buy a whole bunch of cilantro for just a few sprigs and then having the rest wilt in the fridge.
 
And imagine all the delicious herbed foods!
 
Mint Lemonade, Thai Basil Stirfry, Chive Cream Cheese!
 
The possibilities are endless!
 
 

2 comments:

Leesh said...

I want to create a little small herb garden too. I really just want thyme, mint and basil. My hubby likes thyme in his scrambled eggs, we need mint for mojitos and basil for bocconcini and tomatoes.

Mimi said...

this is so cool! i've always wanted to have an herb garden! :D

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
Mile End Bakery Giveaway: Win a dozen cookies of your choice!
Open internationally: Win a set of temporary tattoos!