July 30, 2012

Tuxedo Blouse Refashion

A few months ago I was visiting home and came across a pile of clothes that my mom and brother were going to donate.

Sitting on top of that pile was a brand new crisp white man's button down shirt that just didn't fit my brother so he was giving it away.

My creative wheels started spinning and I knew I could make something out of it (it was enormous) so I snatched it up. As I should have known, it sat in my "To Do" pile for months.

Finally this summer I decided I needed a new simple white blouse and I got to work making this tent of a shirt into something cute I could actually wear.


I started by cutting off all the parts I didn't want anymore (collar, sleeves, pocket)




Then I decided I wanted the buttons in the back of the blouse, so I turned it around and started ironing pleats onto the front (what used to be the back of the shirt)


I sewed down one pleat and ironed in a new one.




And then sewed down the second, third and fourth pleats 
(about 1/2 inch each with the same amount of space in between them)




I decided on a total of five central tuxedo pleats. 
I also ended up scooping out the neckline, but I don't have a photo of it. 


I cut up the sleeves to make some bias tape to bind the neck and arm holes. 


Homemade bias tape is incredibly time consuming, but well worth it. 




Pinning the bias tape around the neckline.



And voila`! A finished tuxedo blouse,





with cute little buttons up the back! 





4 comments:

Crystal @ 29 Rue House said...

I love it Julia!

Leesh said...

Julia - this is awesome!!! You are still in NYC right? You should check out The Sewing Studio and see if you can teach classes there. You would be a great instructor. I took classes at TSS here in Toronto and the owner recently opened one in NYC. You are so creative and talented.

Abigail said...

Julia - you are a beautiful magician!!!

Harla Gunth said...

Very creative, Julia! Did your brother have his chance to say goodbye to his old clothes? Haha! He was probably thrilled to see how it looks like now... You should've kept those sleeves for a ribbon finishing touch or what. But it's already beautiful that way! Great job!
Harla Gunth