July 31, 2012

Nautical Maxi Dress

I've been forcing myself to make time to be creative.

Working 40 hours a week and applying for jobs keeps me busy, and it's easy to get bogged down in the day to day.

So last week I was looking through my fabric stash and I came across this lovely navy and white striped jersey that I'd bought in the garment district a few months ago. I had two yards of a 60" wide fabric, which was enough to make a maxi dress, which I decided I needed immediately.

This was so easy. Shirring is a bit time consuming, but I just put on some TV while I worked. And shirred jersey is very forgiving, so I didn't have any fit issues at all. The straps have some elastic in them too (since I didn't want to bother with adjustable straps) so the dress is pretty much one size fits all.





The contrast hem is my favorite part, which is funny because it was an accident. I cut the dress a bit too short at first, so I decided to lengthen it with stripes going in the other direction.

I think it turned out pretty well, don't you?


No comments: