May 27, 2012

A Golden Birthday!

Last Thursday was my friend Rachel's Golden Birthday.

For those of you unfamiliar with the term, a Golden Birthday--or Champagne Birthday--is when you turn the same age as your birthdate. 

Rachel was turning 24 on the 24th of May, so I decided to throw her a giant birthday party! 

The theme? Gold, obviously! 

I'm still waiting on photos from the actual party (I was too busy running around hostessing to take any) but I will leave you with a photo of the beautiful gold cake that Rachel, Andrea and I made. 

(It took pretty much all day)

This is a four-layer, two-tier cake, alternating vanilla and red velvet layers with a raspberry buttercream filling and a vanilla buttercream icing, covered in fondant (my first time using it!) and painted in gold luster dust. 

{Photo Credit: Cody Pope}

And it didn't just look good, it tasted delicious! 




p.s. My golden birthday will be next year (28 on the 28th of January); I can't wait to make another one! 


1 comment:

Leesh said...

Awesome cake!

I am glad that there is someone else out there that knows what a champagne birthday is. When I mention it, most people have no idea what I am talking about.