January 15, 2012

Lemon Almond Meltaways

Today in Cambridge it's 9 degrees, but it feels like -6, according to weather.com.

I think it feels like -50, but I'm no meteorologist.

I had these grand plans to go for a run, but after deciding that I didn't want to freeze my lungs, I decided to bake instead.

I've had my eye on a recipe for lemon meltaways, but my mom loves almond cookies, so I decided to to both in one cookie!



Lemon Almond Meltaways
(Adapted from Lemon Meltaways)

Ingredients
1 cup flour

1 cup almond meal
2 Tbls (14g) cornstarch

1/4 tsp salt
12 Tbls (170g) butter, room temp
1 2/3 c confectioners' sugar, (260g) divided
Grated zest of 2 lemons
Freshly squeezed lemon juice from 2 lemons
1 Tbls pure vanilla extract


Directions

Zest and juice two lemons.







If you don't have almond meal, you can grind almonds in a food processor until they are grainy but not completely powdery. 




In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, almond meal, and salt. Set aside. 



Almond Meal

Flour

Cornstarch


In another bowl, cream the butter and 1 cup sugar until fluffy. 








Add zest, juice, and vanilla, then beat until fluffy.




Sift half of the dry ingredients over the butter and mix until combined. Sift over the second half and mix until just combined. 






Divide the prepared dough into 2 or 3 parts and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours until thoroughly chilled. Meanwhile, line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.




After chilling, roll out one portion of the dough to a thickness of 1/4" - 1/8" on a lightly-floured surface. (Note: I didn't have time to refrigerate it for 2 hours, so I put it in the freezer half an hour and then rolled out the dough between two sheets of parchment paper so that it wouldn't stick). 



Using a small cutter (about 1"), cut out as many rounds as possible and transfer to the lined sheets. Re-roll scraps and place cut-outs in the freezer for at least 1 hour before baking. 





Preheat oven to 350F and place remaining 2/3 c  sugar in a large plastic bag. Bake cookies, spaced 1" apart, until just barely golden, 10-15 minutes. 


Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool slightly, 8-10 minutes, then drop the cookies into the sugar-filled bag and shake to coat (Note: I dusted the powdered sugar onto the cookies on a plate).







Store baked cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. 

Bon Appetit!


3 comments:

Crystal said...

Lemon anything is probably my favorite dessert of all time. They look delicious!

Courtney said...

these look delicious (and so pretty). baking sounds a thousand times better than going on a run in the freezing cold...
maybe i'll bake something tomorrow.

Rachel said...

Aw these are so cute (and delicious looking!)