December 16, 2011

Indulging In Aesthetic Therapy


If there's one thing I've learning during this extremely long, very trying finals period, it's that the little things can make all the difference.

  • Waking up in the morning and discovering you have just enough milk left for your coffee.
  • Taking an extra five minutes under a hot shower.
  • Having an early morning appointment cancelled at the last minute and getting to sleep in an extra hour.
  • Going for a long run.
  • Calling it an early night and watching an episode of Modern Family before bed.
  • Your roommate's grandmother's care package full of delicious homemade peanut butter cookies.

I've also discovered how important it is to really be comfortable in your environment. And having pretty things to look at makes such a big difference.

I've indulged in a little aesthetic therapy, and it's really helped me get through finals with my sanity intact.



My new night table, courtesy of my roommate's friend who is moving to Seattle and unloaded a boatload of furniture and housewares onto us, which gave our apartment the facelift it so desperately needed. The drawer was missing (as it was when she found it on the street) so I sewed a little curtain for it out of muslin, and I think it looks darling. It also matches the teal and white theme I have going in my room. 


Those pots I bought from this adorable vintage shop on Etsy to put plants in, but I don't have small enough plants yet, so I'm leaving them there for now where they look adorable. 


I saw this on someone else's macbook a while back and coveted it immensely. So when I came across it on Etsy, I had to have it immediately. When the apple glows it's simply marvelous.


This year has brought a lot of changes for me. I used to be afraid that if I ever had to run for my life, I would collapse and die anyway after half a mile. But now I love it and I'm actually running a 15k this weekend! I also used to always kill plants. I couldn't even keep that ridiculous little pot of grass from IKEA alive. Now I have four plants (including the white Poinsetta, which I stole today from our school's holiday party) and they're all alive! Even after I dropped one and it broke in half! This little green corner (along with the Begonia I have on my desk) makes me so happy. Plants really add a living dimension to any space.


These birds are my new favorite thing. Another great Etsy find, this wal decal is just what I needed to fill the blank wall above my sewing corner, and the teal bird inadvertently matches my new night table perfectly! Just looking at them makes me so happy.

What kind of aesthetic therapy do you indulge in 
when you need a break?


No comments: