December 31, 2011

Foregoing a Yearly Tradition: My New Year's Extravaganza With My Meilleure Amie - Part Deux


This is a repost from New Year's Eve 2009 - with some modifications to bring the post up to date - but it's oddly appropriate once again. 

****
Molly and Me,  January 1st, 2011,  Minneapolis

Molly and I have been meilleures amies since middle school, and starting in seventh grade (when we got up to some shenanigans at my dad's new year's eve party) we've had a New Year's tradition to spend the holiday together  often at the cost of spurning our boyfriends for each other. This will only be the fifth in fifteen new year's eves that we don't celebrate together - boo. I'm pretty bummed out about not getting to see her this year, especially because we have a long history of partying hard and internationally that I would have liked to continue (even though I know we'll continue it next year).

Until the end of high school we were obviously celebrating locally, here in good old Cambridge, but starting in college we've spent each year's special night in (chronologically) New York City (in the Empire State Building - because we are badasses like that), Montreal, Boston, Chicago, New York (again), Rome, and Minneapolis.

So now all I can do to not get too lonely for my Molly Moo today is reminisce about the good times we've had, imagine all those to come...

So Molly, let's take a little stroll down memory lane, shall we?

1997: The year a great tradition started. When that you, me and Laura stole three bottles of champagne from my dad's party, went to drink it in the snow, and couldn't stop laughing for hours... (life was so much simpler when we were young!)

1999: When I had that insanely huge and out of control New Year's Bash at my dad's house, for which I thought it was imperative to have a black light set up in the living room (ahh, the joys of the 90s)


2002: When we spent New Year's Eve at "the apartment" and I'm pretty sure at one point you had a carrot in your pocket... 'nuff said.

2003: When we rung in the new year watching the fireworks from like the 50th floor of the Empire State Building. That was awesome. With the DJ's t-shirt: "black vinyl white powder" and whatever nonsense that was going on in the bathroom (and eventually got the party broken up) but went straight over our heads because we were 19 and oh-so-innocent.


2004: When you came to visit me in Montreal, and I slipped and slid down seven feet of black ice on my butt. I think we also met K-OS (a famous Canadian rapper for those of you--ok fine, ALL of you--who don't know).


2005: When we were stuck in Boston, but ended up having a great time with Rose at that random house party in Allston, which was unfortunately after it snowed about a foot on us while we were waiting for the bus... in mini skirts and open-toed shoes. (20 years old and oh-so-wise).

2006: When I came to visit you again in Chicago, and we party-hopped all night long, ending up at a very friendly lesbian party where I was confused about why there were no guys to flirt with. Then, thanks to my hangover, I had a cultural misunderstanding with the waitress at the Golden Nugget the next day.

2007: When you came to Rome and we had the most unbelievably random and awesome night ever - from partying with the Italian aristocracy (and posing for photos in front of their pair of original Andy Warhol Marilyn Monroe prints) to packing six people in a Fiat Panda and singing Queen at the tops of our lungs, to grunge-ing out with the punk rockers and their dogs at the 3 am concert at some abandoned train station.

2008: When we went back to New York and made it a night of Stoli Blue and Soda, while chatting up new friends outside the club at the Chelsea Hotel. That was the night I discovered almost no one's American cell phone is set up for international calls, trying desperately to call my boyfriend in Italy.

2010: When I flew to visit you and Walter in Minneapolis and what started off as a tranquil houseparty ended up with me getting kidnapped by your friends and you managing to convince the cab driver to drive the still half-full keg to the next house party. A night of stilettos in the snow and pink champagne, Minnesota-style.

***

I wish I had pictures of all of these wonderful evenings (I do of some, but I have too much respect for myself and Molly to post them online) so all of you could truly understand how amazing New Year's Eve can become when Molly and I get together and become a force of  nature to be reckoned with!

At the risk of sounding maudlin and melancholy, I guess I don't really care because if it's not going to be an amazing night celebrating my my partner in good times, I guess it doesn't really have
 to be an amazing night at all....

But even though I have nothing planned just yet, this year I'll probably end up spending some quality time with my roommates, which I know will be loads of fun because those girls are just as much a force of nature.


Happy New Year Everyone!
Have a Wonderful Evening, and Be Safe!
Don't Drink and Drive! :)

No comments: