November 24, 2011

Merci

I have mixed feelings about Thanksgiving.

On one hand it's delicious, it's a chance to see my family, take a much needed break, and get my hands dirty in the kitchen.

On the other hand, it's a sort of eerie calm before the storm.

There's food, wine, family, friends, good cheer. It feels like the holidays, but there's really a whole month left before the holidays.

A whole month of final exams and papers. Hence the storm.

Then again, the way this semester has been going, it's almost like the eye of the storm. The calm half way through, before having to brave the other half before coming out the other side around Christmas.

Thanksgiving Table Setting



So I should be thankful. 

For this wonderful five-day weekend I get to take in the middle of November before having to rush back to finish eight final projects and a flurry of job applications.
For my mother, who makes this house a home, and who turns bags of groceries into a delicious feast. 
For my brother, who picks me up at the bus station and carries my overpacked suitcase up the stairs. Every time. 
For my father, who, despite all his life suggestions, I know is proud of me. 
For my amazing friends who help me keep things in perspective.
For being lucky enough to be doing exactly what I want to be doing with my life. And loving it. 
For the discipline to run every day I never thought I'd find.
For the vacation to Jamaica I can't wait to be on. 
For the cute, elastic-waist skirt I'll be wearing later, managing to look fancy yet be comfortable. 
For delicious thanksgiving leftovers. 



No comments: