September 22, 2011

Home Sweet Home (Finally)

As I was unpacking into my new room, in my new apartment, I realized that this will be the first time since the Summer of 2009 that I'll be living in my own apartment, with my own furniture, and not on a temporary basis.


Until the summer of 2009, I was living at my grandmother's house in Rome, where I had been for two years. When she passed away in June, my aunts and uncles had to start coordinating the sale of the apartment, so I couldn't stay in it until I moved to Spain in December. So in September I moved into an apartment with three other girls for a couple of months in another neighborhood of Rome. In January I moved to Madrid, where I rented a tiny place (almost all of my stuff in storage in Rome) for six months, and at the end of August, when I moved to New York, I was living with the Keyfrees, where I had most of my things, but none of my own furnishing (since it was someone else's house).


So I'm finally in my own apartment for the first time in years, and I couldn't be more thrilled. Our place is beautiful, with a big balcony and a 17th floor view of Central Park, and it's South/East facing so we get wonderful direct sunlight all day long.


My mother asked me to take some pictures of my room, so she could see where I was living, so I thought I'd just post them here to show off my lovely new digs. 



The view from the doorway

The bunting is from Mali, made of assorted African fabrics

My faux vanity. The bust was hand carved by a Malian artisan.
She's doubling as a headband stand. 

My sewing corner.

Books, toiletries, jewelry, and assorted African bowls.

The view from the desk.

My big desk and brand new Macbook Air! Love!




I accidentally left all my wall decorations in Cambridge, so I'm temporarily decorating with hats.
I quite like it. 




I took the photos at night, so I apologize for the quality (but nighttime is really the only time I'm at home and not in a rush). Maybe one afternoon when I'm home during the day I'll take some photos of the balcony and the view. 


2 comments:

Venassa said...

Looks so cozy and inviting. I love the banner above the bed.

Dorkys Ramos said...

Oh you can't beat a view of Central Park. Congrats on the new space!