June 8, 2011

The Dress!

So last night I finally finished the bow belt for the dress, and I'd say it's pretty much all finished! (I think I need nude pumps to go with it, but I'll worry about that in the fall. I certainly won't be needing them in Mali).

I didn't do hair or make up, hence the headlessness.
 I used a modified version of this Coffee Date Dress pattern, free from BurdaStyle, for the lace overlay, and then used the same pattern with a modified bust (sweetheart neckline instead of straps) for the satin lining. I was going to do a fuller skirt, a little more ballerina style, but I thought that it might be a little too overwhelming with the lace, so I stuck to the pattern's A Line skirt, which I think fit the dress well. It's a bit more elegant and fitted.


And here's the dress with the little matching clutch. Although I'm thinking maybe it's too matchy matchy? What do you think?


It's really hard for a photo to capture the sweetheart neckline, even in a close up. I guess the nude lace blends with the satin quite well. (Sorry about the lopsided bow)



For the back I went with a 1950s-esque gathered strap for the lace overlay, keeping the satin bodice strapless. 


A slightly less lopsided bow belt.


And finally, a closeup of the lace I used.

I'm going to consider this a success, given that it's my first time using a pattern for a dress.

What do you think?


6 comments:

Bree said...

Ok, you made this?!? Whattt. You are amazing!! It must be so cool to have someone ask where you got your dress and you get to reply, "I made it!"

cfoxes33 said...

It is beautiful!

Jen said...

I am SO impressed by this, Julia! It came out so wonderfully, and I don't think the clutch is too matchy; the lace on the dress and lack of lace on the clutch save it from that.

This would be a perfect bridesmaid dress! (Sorry, I'm in wedding mode having attended a wedding this weekend and it being wedding season and all!) Or... a dress to wear to a wedding as a guest!

Can I hire you to make my future bridesmaids dresses? LOL

Rhiannon said...

I love! Where do I send my measurements?

Maria said...

You're such a talent!

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

I think this dress is perfect!! The color looks just right for your skin tone and I like how the bow belt gives off a bit of a blush tint (well at least judging from the photos)! Gorgeous work!