March 1, 2011

I Occasionally Like To Make Lists: My Top Ten Favorite Movies Of All Time (Subject to Change)


I hate choosing favorites. 

Like really hate. 

Mostly because for a lot of things I'm fairly indecisive and there's something about "locking in" my choices that irks me. I also have a lot of trouble deciding what to order in restaurants.

But this why almost all my Top Five lists are really only four things, because I like to "leave one open" in case I change my mind.

But I also love making lists, and a big part of making lists is ranking things. So I choose favorites when I have to. But only when I have to.

Like now.

A while back I posted a list of Movies I Have (Shamefully) Never Seen (which, sadly, is still true of all of them), so I thought I'd write about the movies I actually have seen, and loved. Feel free to use the comments section to tell me all about your favorites and make suggestions! I'm always up for watching a great new film!



Top Ten Favorite Movies of All Time
(in no particular order, and subject to change)

1. Forrest Gump
2. The Usual Suspects
3. Pulp Fiction
4. L.A.Confidential
5. Gosford Park
6. Amelie
7.  Secretary
8. American Beauty
9. Wag the Dog
10. Roman Holiday

I could explain why these movies made the cut, but if you've seen any of them, I don't think I need to.

What are your top ten favorites?


7 comments:

Margarita said...

I'm the exact same way - I hate deciding and being definitive about anything. Because what if I change my mind?? LOL.

Jen said...

I can't do it either! I can't pick favorites. I have such a hard time with those social media categories: favorite books, movies, songs, bands, etc. And I usually have a hard time ordering in restaurants too, unless it's a place that would have good prime rib or an Italian restaurant with hand-made gnocchi. :)

I will say I loved Forrest Gump and American Beauty. Amelie and Pulp Fiction were great too, but I wouldn't call them favorites.

Des said...

You have a great list here. These would be my top ten:

The Remains of the Day
Glory
The Empire of the Sun
Raising Arizona
The Color Purple
Amadeus
The Shawshank Redemption
Gosford Park
The Age of Innocence
The Mission

meghan said...

I just wanted to tell you that I saw you comment on someone else's blog that was no-reply with your tutorial of how to add an email address and thought that was ingenious! It makes me want to make a little tutorial so I can send people to it too!! No replies are just the worst! :)

Jenny☮ said...

Forrest Gump and American Beauty... LOVE! Great choices. My personal favorite is 10 Things I Hate About You with Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles. I love romantic comedies. :)

Kelly L said...

I TOTALLY hate picking favorites too. I have no problem deciding if I love something or hate something, but calling it a "favorite"? If I can have multiple favorites, that's better. Because there is something so inflexible and definitive about picking A FAVORITE. Besides, my tastes change over time... doesn't everyone's???

Leesh said...

I love making lists too! I have an iPhone app called aNote and it's awesome. I make lists upon lists!

Here are my top 10 movies:

1. The Devil Wears Prada
2. Remember the Titans
3. Sweet Home Alabama
4. My Best Friend's Wedding
5. Step Up 2
6. Can't Stop the Music
7. Crash
8. She's the Man
9. Armageddon
10. Love Actually