January 23, 2011

Sunday Sweets: Indulging a Sweet Tooth

I don't know about you, but when the mercury dips below thirty degrees, there's very little I want to do beside hole myself up in the house with a toasty drink, a good book, and a spread of tasty snacks.

Usually I'm a savory girl. I do like cakes and desserts and the occasional cookie, but I like dinner far too much to leave room for dessert. And it's the same for snacks; I'll take a salty snack over a sweet one almost always.

But there's something to be said for the beauty and appeal of sweets.

When I was littl, my mother's nicknames for me were all french pastries. Instead of calling me sweetie or honey, she called me mon petit choux a la creme, mon petit baba au rhum, mon petit napoleon, mon petit millefeuille au chocolat. So sweets and pastries have been ingrained in my being for as long as I can remember.

And let's be honest, it's usually hard for me to turn down any food.

So on this cold, New York, Sunday afternoon -- while cozy at home, in pajamas, with a cup of tea -- I've put together a collection of some Sunday Sweets (literally) that look too good to pass up.



Homemade Marshmallows

Lemonade Girl Scout Cookies

Dark Chocolate Eclair

Yogurt Panna Cotta

Raspberry Meringue Hearts

Lemon Truffles
The Perfect Hot Chocolate

Classic Profiteroles

Cinnamon Buns

I'm probably going to spend the rest of the day narrowing down that list to one thing to make for dessert tonight. Any suggestions?

What is your favorite dessert?

4 comments:

Franzi said...

everything Danish is pretty amazing... for example "stjerne cage" (picture: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hMB1IehE3GU/TORQsjSoN0I/AAAAAAAAABY/Aye4zN2ew14/s1600/P1040144.jpg). I love "Green tea sponge cake" from Chinatown. Chinese pastry is so much fun- sometimes surprisingly yummy and sometimes an adventure per se...;)

respacedgirl.blogspot.com

p.s: i think the nickname idea is really cute. will keep it in mind!

Jen said...

Oh I heart homemade marshmellows! But, those cinnamon rolls look amazing and much better suited for a cold night... or morning!

Morgan said...

Oh my heaven... I'll take any of the above! Looking at those made me so hungry! I think my favorite have to be cupcakes! YUM!!

Julia said...

I do not like marshmallows. But THOSE marshmallows look divine! I'd love to try any of those sweets! Maybe raspberry meringue hearts??? YUM.