January 18, 2011

My Second First Day Of School

{via}

 Today is the first day of my second semester of grad school.

Considering that my entire program is only two years (four semesters), the fact that I'm already twenty-five percent done, when if feels like i just started, is a little disconcerting.

The second years, who a mere five months ago had barely finished their first year, are now a mere five months from graduation (and they will be sorely missed).

But, premature nostalgia aside, I am very excited about round two of school, despite the fact that I'm inadvertently taking six classes this semester and I'm likely going to have very little time for myself. But I made my bed, I suppose I should lie in it, unmanageable course load and all.

As much as I've enjoyed the last month off--visiting my family, traveling and even the travel mishaps, meeting new people, visiting new cities--I was starting to crave a routine. Don't get me wrong, waking up at eleven in the morning (at the earliest) was great, but not having a regular schedule for an extended period of time really starts to do a number on you. I'm not twenty-one anymore (in fact twenty-one is uncomfortably close to being an entire half decade behind me); I can only go with the flow for so long.

So--despite the fact that on Tuesdays I'll have eight hours of classes (six consecutive, four in the same room), and that what time I don't spend in class will most likely be dedicated to extra curricular activities, and that whatever time I have left over will be spent reading, and that my very frequent morning cost/benefit analysis between showering and sleeping for twenty minutes longer will probably be more frequent, and that my out-of-school friendships will start to seem like distant memories--I welcome and embrace this new semester, because I am so lucky to be here, and I honestly couldn't be more thrilled.


What are you looking forward to?



2 comments:

holly said...

I felt like my master's program went by stupidly fast as well. I've heard lore that my doc program will do the same, but I'm only starting my second semester, and May 2014 seems so, so, so far away.

From one grad student to another, I can totally empathize with your life. Wishing you luck this semester!

Julia said...

I'm starting my last semester of my master's program. But I am a full time teacher and part time student, so this has taken long enough! Good luck, girl!