December 2, 2010

Seasons Change, Mad Things Rearrange...

(On a side note, I miss the Fugees. Don't you? What excellent music. It really defined a whole era of my adolescence, one Italian road trip in particular that involved cliff beaches and a car accident! But that's another story for another time)

But back to the seasons thing.

Who knew that as soon as I got back from thanksgiving Christmas would promptly smack me in the face with all its pine-scented, holiday-light-bespangled, salvation-army-bell-ringing glory!

Not that I'm complaining. I haven't heard a single holiday song or braved a single crowd of crazed holiday shoppers yet so my sanity is still intact. (well, except for Dominic the Italian Christmas Donkey, which I may or may not have already played six or seven times.... before thanksgiving)

(which I will include here for your viewing pleasure)


You're welcome!

 Anyway. Maybe my claim about having been smacked by Christmas was a bit hyperbolic, since I've really not had to deal with any of the irritating holiday stuff. Maybe I've just been caressed by the pine-scented, holiday-light-bespangled Decemberness of New York.

I have to say that walking home down a Christmas tree-lined street is not at all unpleasant. And trees wrapped in Christmas lights are really pretty. And even those cheerful bell-clanging Salvation Army guys make me smile.

And things are rearranging. Most notably the weather.

Yesterday is was 65 degrees and pouring rain. It looked like an insane September hurricane hit NY.

Today its like 45 degrees and crisp and sunny. A perfect New York winter morning.

I've been dreading the snow (mostly the subsequent slush), but I have to say, I won't be that miffed if the forecast for flurries next Tuesday turns out to be accurate. All in all, I'm delightfully surprised by how much I'm looking forward to the next month (two weeks of finals notwithstanding).

I'm in the mood for a winter wonderland!

What are you looking forward to this Holiday Season?
What are you dreading?


1 comment:

Jen said...

*sigh* NYC must be so pretty...

I'm looking forward to more family time and SKIING! I'm dreading the hustle and bustle and the stress that comes from it.