November 7, 2010

Weekly(ish) Photo Essay: Watching the Foliage Turn


Living in Europe for the last three years, and in Canada for the four before that, I'd really forgotten what a beautiful North East Fall looks like. In Europe you can swim in the ocean until October, while in Canada by Halloween you're already rocking snow boots, so there's never really an autumnal transition before winter.

In New York, and specifically, in Central Park, there certainly is. In a mere week, the whole park, originally a giant green rectangle in the middle of a city, blossoms into an explosion of reds, maroons, crimsons, oranges, yellows, ochres, and browns.


It's really beautiful. 



And Kate, Mike and I picked the perfect Saturday afternoon 
to rent rowboat and go for a boat ride in Central Park.

 













***
I promised I would should you final Halloween costumes, so here we are,

as redhead cartoons:

Poison Ivy (Elena), Wilma Flintstone (Julia), and Jessica Rabbit (Kim)

And the Furies (aka Goddesses of Vengeance):

Kate, Barbara, Julia

And I already have a great idea for next year, but I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to talk about it.....

Have a Wonderful Weekend!


4 comments:

Angela said...

Wow, those are some beautiful Autumn pictures. I adore Autumn, it's my favorite season!

Those costumes came out great, wonderful job! I can't wait to hear about your new costume idea!

I've also thought of one for next year, but like you, I'm not giving it away quite yet!

Chloe. said...

i would love to live in new york for a year, to see for myself the seasonal changes and how the city life moves around it. especially in the colder months, i think would be wonderful. <3

xx

we could go anywhere..

Allison said...

I love your pictures, but I have to admit, I love Central Park in the spring! Can't wait for you to see it. :)

Belen said...

*sigh* on my home the other day, the wind picked up and all the leaves started falling down like rain. it was so beautiful. i wish i'd have had a good camera to capture it. then after the leaves started falling, i noticed that the trees were changing colors. i was taken back as i started taking notice of my surroundings. it was so beautiful. :)