November 26, 2010

Fill In The Black Friday

The very fact that I'm posting from home at noon shows that I'm nowhere near all the Black Friday madness that takes America by storm every year on this day. It is something that I absolutely cannot deal with.

Last night at 10pm there were people camping out outside the stores in Harvard sq. Aside from the fact that I can't imagine any store in Harvard sq a) opens at midnight, and b) would get mobbed, even if that were the case, that's still insane to me.

And just for stuff? It's not like people are mobbing stores to give blood or volunteer with underprivileged children. They just want to spend money they don't have on things they don't need. And fight with hundreds of other crazy bargain shoppers to do it.

It is not my idea of a good time.

My idea of a good Black Friday involves waking up at 11am from my turkey-induced food coma, having a leisurely breakfast of Earl Grey and a sampling of thanksgiving desserts, and avoiding any form of retail for the rest of the day.

Oh! And filling in Lauren's Friday blanks!


{via weheartit}


1.   Black Friday is       an American abomination   .

2.  Christmas shopping this year will include   whatever I can afford on my poor graduate student lack of income .

3.  Holiday shopping makes me      want to stab people in the eye. And the Christmas music certainly doesn't help .

4.  This year my Christmas list will include    very little stuff and a whole lot of traveling .

5.  Bargain hunter, or full price shopper?     I covet the full-price things, but I refuse to buy most of them - unless they're reasonably-priced to begin with - and I settle for the lucky bargain finds instead. I don't buy on sale just because it's cheap. That's a waste of money.

6.  The best and worst things about shopping are      best: coming home with something I've been wanting for a while, and being really happy with it. worst: everyone else who decided to go shopping on the same day as me. It's like people lose all ability to reason and behave like adults when they're in stores. Seriously, it's the only time that shoving is semi-acceptable adult behavior.

7.  Online shopper or in-person shopper?     A little of both. But I'd rather shop in person for clothes and shoes because you can't try stuff on online. Plus it irks me to pay for shipping  .
 

3 comments:

Claire Kiefer said...

Totally agree about Black Friday. Can't imagine doing anything but staying in my bed unreasonably late and reading (and occasionally getting up to sneak a bite of pecan pie). Hope your day is PEACEFUL (unlike all the people camped out in front of stores!).

Did you get my jewels yet?? If not, I hope they come today!

Lin said...

I covet full priced items too. There's something about a blouse being $25 that just doesn't fly with me. And I totally agree with you on people acting like children in stores...since when does shoving & yelling get you what you want?

Stopping by from Laurens blog :)

Alyssa said...

Point 3 could be no closer to how i feel!!!
Christmas music makes my mood go from bad to evil