November 11, 2010

As A Rule Of Thumb: A Beginner's Guide To Life - Only The Weak Mind Gets Bored

The last time I consistently had so many consecutive hours of obligations on so many consecutive days for such an extended period of time was three years ago, when I had just moved to Rome, and I was, for all intents and purposes, working three jobs.

I would leave the house at 8:00 am and come home, exhausted, around 10:00 pm (luckily after hearty meal at my aunt and uncle's house). I spent about a year surviving fourteen hour days, and what I didn't realize at the time was that when I got home, those two hours before I would collapse in bed were mine. All mine.

I could do whatever I wanted. Because I didn't have any homework.

I wish I'd taken that more to heart at the time, because now I find myself again living fourteen hour days, but the difference is that if I don't go to sleep immediately when I get home, I still have at least a couple of hour's worth of reading that I need to do.

This means that all those amazing things I got to do for two whole hours a night I had three years ago - watching a movie, painting my nails, sorting my laundry, relaxing in the tub, reading a book - I hardly ever get to do anymore. I have so much to do in my life, between obligations and pleasure, that I can hardly remember what it's like to sit around with nothing to do! Which brings me to my point.


Rule #4

Only the weak mind gets bored. There are so many amazing things to do at any given moment, regardless of where you are (unless you're on an airplane, or in a padded cell, or something). If you're lucky to think about what you'd like to be doing most (realistically - jetting to Fiji at a moment's notice doesn't count) and actually have the time to do it, and you can't be bothered, it is a travesty. Boredom is essentially laziness. There is no excuse for laying around on the couch and whining about how "there's nothing to dooooo." If you can't make the effort to pick up a book or put in a dvd or go for a walk and take some pictures or call up an old friend for an impromptu coffee date, then honestly, you really deserve all the boredom that's coming to you.

Take it from those of us who have sacrifice an obligation to make a little time for ourselves.

2 comments:

Keenie Beanie said...

This is so true!!! I don't have anything like a life as full as your is at the moment. But I can't remember the last time I felt bored. (Well, there was that work meeting last week, but that's beside the point.) Sometimes I enjoy just being. Not doing. Just being. And for all the other times - there is just too much interesting stuff out there to do, see, read, surf or watch to waste mental energy being bored.

Nicole Z said...

Great post!! Too often we do take that time for granted and we definitely shouldn't. I appreciate your insight and honesty!! :)