September 11, 2010

As A Rule Of Thumb: A Beginner's Guide To Life - Getting Dressed

Last night I was getting ready to go out to see my friends Barbara, Liz, and Noah.

We didn't have any specific plans, but there was a half chance that we were going to go downtown to see what was going on for Fashion's Night Out downtown. We didn't end up going, but when I was getting dressed, there was no way for me to know that. So while searching for the perfect outfit that would be comfortable, yet not ordinary,  spiffy enough for fashion night, yet outdoors appropriate, I had a wardrobe crisis.

I couldn't find anything to wear!

This was particularly odd, because a mere two weeks before I was at home packing to move down to NY and I couldn't believe how many clothes I had. It seemed like I had suitcases and suitcases of clothes, even after giving away boxes full, and leaving a good deal of them at home. I spent six months in Madrid with plenty of clothes, and most of them were in Italy in storage. Suddenly my whole wardrobe was reunited and back in America, and it seemed like it had somehow quadrupled.

And yes, last night, while staring for forty-five minutes at an exploded suitcase full of clothes for all occasions, I couldn't find anything to wear.

Finally it was 8:10, and I had said I would be at Barbara's by eight, so I knew I would have to find a solution, and fast! And then it hit me....

Rule #3

Not matter how much you are convinced that nothing you own is good enough, you always have an outfit that will work. Think back to the last occasion that was somewhat similar to what you're trying to dress for, and duplicate that exact outfit. It doesn't matter if you think you just wore it and people will notice, chances are you're not even seeing the same people. And even if you are, they definitely won't remember what you were wearing last time. Do you remember what they were wearing then? Exactly. And it doesn't matter if it's an outfit you don't think works. It worked last time, and so it'll work this time. Just get out of your head about it. If you really need to vary it a bit, change the shoes.

When I realized that I didn't have to come up with a new combination of clothes, and I could just put on an outfit I'd already thought up weeks before, it was such a relief! Was I excited about my outfit? Not really. Did I think I looked great? Meh. But I knew that last time I'd worn the same outfit, I'd been pretty damn happy with myself. And so I knew that it would do just fine.

I took the same dress, belted it the same way, and then to add a little extra oomph, I changed the shoes and threw on a fancy headband. By the time I was walking down the street, all of my doubts had faded.

I just hope you didn't send that outfit to the dry cleaners. In that case I can't help you.


1 comment:

Erin said...

This is such good advice! I feel like I have to start from scratch every dang time. Before facebook I wasn't so fussy about it but now I feel like even if I don't see the same people there's a good chance evidence of what I wore will be posted for everyone I know to see. I need to get over myself just a little bit huh?