August 30, 2010

A Whole New World

I know it's only been two days, but it feels like ages since I last posted.

New York is definitely a whole new world from where I was two days ago!

So remember how I was sick on Thursday? Turns out I had a raging case of strep throat. Which to the doctor looked a lot like mono. Which, if I unfortunately happened to have it, could potentially knock me out for the entire semester, forcing me to defer and change all my plans.

Needless to say, when I found out it was just strep, I did a little happy dance. Or a strep dance, as the nurse called it.

I don't think I've ever danced for a disease before.

But I got my antibiotics, and last night I was finally feeling better (after a very eventful moving down weekend, with a car disaster story that I'll save for a rainy day). Today I was at SIPA Orientation all day, meeting wonderful new people and learning all about the complexities of the degree I'm about to start.

After a whole day of concentration and specialization info sessions, and peer meet and greets, I went out for a drink with a lovely new bunch of girls, and got home to the sweetest most unexpected thing, a Welcome to New York email from a fellow blogger! Allison, from Lemonade Life, warmly welcomed me to the city, invited me to meet up, and offered help for whatever I might need!

What a sweetheart! :)

Who knew that making friends through blogging could be so rewarding? I can't wait to meet the lovely lady!

And now I'm off to bed to rest up, and sleep off this glass and a half of wine (apparently a round of antibiotics and not eating for three days because my throat was swollen shut was enough to make me a light weight!), and get ready for three hours jam packed with logarithms, derivatives, and calculus tomorrow morning! Joy!

Hopefully I'll be back in before the end of the week, but between school social and academic events I'm pretty swamped, so I can't promise anything. 


2 comments:

Amanda K said...

Hi Julia! I just found your blog and I think its lovely. I can't wait to read more :) You were definitely right in doing that happy dance for having strep instead of mono, which is quite possibly the most miserable disease that can't really kill you.

Jen said...

Good luck with the start of school! I hope you are feeling better and having a great week!