August 7, 2010

Maman's Blueberry Yogurt Pancakes


Wednesday at Whole Foods they were selling 2 lb boxes of blueberries. So I immediately grabbed one and started thinking of all the yummy exotic things I could make with them over the next few days.

But then Thursday I woke up with a craving for plain old blueberry pancakes. Nothing exotic or special using blueberries - no berry panna cotta, no blueberry tart - just simple breakfast pancakes, a delicious and a great way to start the day.

My mom has a killer yogurt pancake recipe (which we've made with everything from bananas and raspberries, to cranberries and apples, and tons of other yummy fruit combos), so I let her take over and cook me up a batch of these beauties.

I took care of squeezing the orange juice and stayed out of her way.

And since it's Saturday morning, a typical time for pancakes - I thought that maybe you'd like to whip some up for your loved ones this morning.

Or maybe just for yourself? No one's judging :)

Maman's Blueberry Yogurt Pancakes

Ingredients
  • 1 cup yogurt
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • 2/3 stick of butter, melted
  • 1 banana, sliced in half lengthwise and cut into half-inch pieces
  • 1-2 cups fresh blueberries
Directions
  • Separate eggs, set aside egg whites.
  • In a small mixing bowl sift together dry ingredients (flours, baking soda, sugar, salt).
  • In a larger mixing bowl mix together wet ingredients (yogurt, egg yolks, melter butter, banana pieces).
  • Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into wet ingredients, making sure to mix any lumps.
  • Whip egg whites to stiff peaks.
  • Gently fold egg whites into pancake batter.
  • Stir in blueberries
  • Spoon batter onto hot griddle. When bubbles start to form on surface (after about a minute), flip, and cook another minute until golden brown.

  • Serve with maple syrup of fruit preserves.
  • Enjoy!


Enjoy your breakfast!

***

And remember Six Senses Saturday?

Well, it has certainly been a while since we've had one, hasn't it? Between non-working beach house internet and being away, my Saturdays haven't been so productive, blog-wise, but we're about to change that!


*** 
Today I'm...

Tasting:
Blueberries and yogurt

Smelling:
My cup of smoky Lapsang Souchong.

Seeing:
All the green in my garden.

Hearing:
An NPR program talking about people who think it would be a good idea to change the constitution to deny citizenship to children of illegal immigrants born on US soil.
I have no words.

Touching:
My brand new iPhone!
I can't wait to learn to use it!
Any tips and tricks?
Feeling:
Cold!
In Boston in mid-August? I know! Crazy!

*** 

Don't forget to play along and link up below!
What are your senses doing today?




2 comments:

Pia said...

The pancakes look SO delicious!! If only I had all the ingredients at home so I could make them right now...

The OriginalPsyn said...

Your recipes sound so delicious I may have to try them sometime.