August 19, 2010

I Occasionally Like To Make Lists: Favorite Summer Smells

Even thought Autumn doesn't technically begin until September 21, it still feels like Summer ends at the end of August. Maybe it's because school starts again, maybe because it stops feeling like eleventy billion degrees outside. Who knows.

I just know that the end of summer is near, and that always makes me think back on what I like best about my favorite season. And while summer is great because of all the things you have free time to do, it also is lots of fun for your senses. So here is a list of my favorite summer smells.



Rain on Hot Asphalt
It's hot, it's humid, the sky is starting to cloud. Finally, when you can hardly stand the weather anymore, the heat breaks and the rain comes pouring down, practically steaming on the hot asphalt. 
 {via}

Someone's Else's BBQ
I don't know what it is, but smelling something that someone else is bbq-ing always smells so much more appetizing than whatever you happen to throw on the grill. Not that what you grill isn't delicious, but walking by someone else's grill is always a little better. I think its the same rule that dictates that someone else's Coke is always tastier, colder, and less flat; the whole grass is greener argument. 
{via}

Freshly Cut Grass
And speaking of grass, I know this is super cliche`, but it is for a reason: 
freshly cut grass smells amazing! And it's so green and pretty!

 {via}


Fragrant Peaches
Fresh summer produce - especially fruit - is one of my favorite parts of summer. Especially the sweet, succulent smells that wafts off of peaches, nectarines and apricots. Yum
{via}

Minty Limey Mojitos
Nothing better for cooling off after a long, hot summer day than a fresh-squeezed mojito with plenty of fresh mint and crushed ice. And the citrus mint smells so good!


What are your favorite Summer smells?


7 comments:

littledaisymay said...

I love the smell of rain on asphalt too :)

Belen said...

maybe it's where i live, but i get headaches from the smell of rain on asphalt. :/ but i definitely love the smell of freshly cut grass, and especially the smell of someone else's bbq in the distance! :D

Jena Carper said...

I love the smell of fresh cut grass too! It's like taking a trip back to childhood and all the times dad made me mow the lawn :)

J. said...

I love the way a summer rain smells... but in small-town Oklahoma, it's more a mix of grass/dirt/rain than asphalt. The best way to describe it is to say that the Earth just smells new.
I also love the smell of a cookout, AND the smell of suntan oil, with a little hint of pool chemicals mixed in. :)

OhhLaceyy said...

I love walking outside on a Saturday morning and smelling all the fresh cut grass! sooo good hahah :)

stingaling said...

The smell of rain on hot pavement is so...summer. I always take really deep breaths when the rain first hits the pavement because it smells that good. Another favorite summer smell of mine is freshly washed bed linens that have been dried on the line outside. Smells like sunshine!

Jules said...

The first three definitely make my list too...I love them!! Other favourites I'd add to the list are Palmer's cocoa butter lotion...I use it so much more frequently in the summer months, and also the smell of suntan lotion.