August 20, 2010

Filling Blanks On Television

When I was growing up, I never watched TV. I mean never.

There were few films my parents deemed totally inappropriate - they considered my brother and me to be fairly mature young tots - so we saw tons of movies. But my parents were both immoderately anti-television.

Maybe because they thought seeing hours upon hours of commercials targeted at kids would turn our brains into mush, and us into demanding little brats. 

Or maybe because they thought the programming in itself was not worthy of our developing little minds.

Whatever their crunchy, alternative parenting reasons were, before middle school I don't think a single channel was ever turned on in our house.

In middle school, we were given the benefit of the doubt and let choose - largely based on our friends' preferences at the time - two or three television shows that we could watch every week, obviously with the commercial breaks on mute.

Crafty girl that I was, I finagled four shows into my weekly rotation: Friends, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawson's Creek, and Felicity. The first two remain some of my favorite shows to date. The second two, well, lets just say that after my first year allowed watching television, I decided I had better things to watch with my limited viewing hours. 

In high school things were obviously a little more lax, and in college I was a free woman. In fact I spent a year watching Canadian TLC and realizing exactly what my parents had been saying all those years. 

Today, even though it's now been approximately half my life since I've pretty much had TV freedom, I still have a trace of the feeling that if I have a chance to watch TV I should take advantage.

But between being in Canada and Europe, I haven't had steady access to American programming in more than half a decade, so I haven't been able to go completely overboard. And the roundabout ways I've discovered for watching my favorite shows - streaming them online - have mercifully eliminated the commercial segments. But this doesn't mean that I don't occasionally exaggerate: I have eleven currently on-the-air shows that I follow, and eight off-the-air shows that I relive every once in a while. 

Let's just say that I'm a television convert.

And now, after carrying on for far too long about my TV history, let's fill in some blanks, shall we?
Don't forget to go link up with Lauren!



1.  My favorite current TV show is     Dexter. Only because it ended with such a cliffhanger than I cannot wait to see how the next season starts. Once it settles down again, I'll probably have a new favorite .

2.  The TV character I can relate to most is     Samantha, from Samantha Who. Ok, partly because Christina Applegate is frickin hilarious. And not because I have amnesia or anything. But because I think that she does a great job of trying to find a balance between being a good person and being a bad person. Everyone has impulses that pull them in both directions - being selfish, or doing the right thing - and sometimes it's hard to reconcile the two  .

3.  My life is like (fill in with TV show and why)....     How I Met Your Mother. Because that show pretty much encapsulates what it means to be in your twenties in a big, cosmopolitan city, and have  all kinds of crazy friends.

4.  My all time favorite TV show is     Friends. No doubt about it.

5.  A TV show that is ridiculously stupid, but I continue to watch is    none. Because I don't actually watch TV on a TV, I don't get sucked into watching Real Housewives of New Jersey, or Teen Mom, or the Hoarders just because it's on. I get to cherry pick the TV shows that are actually worth my time.

6.  My favorite TV couple is     Liz Lemon and Jack Donaghy, on 30 Rock. Ok,  ok, I know they aren't a couple couple, but they have an amazing dynamic, and they are a couple of people, so I stand by my choice.

7.  One TV episode I could watch over and over again is    Friends,  "The One With The Stoned Guy".  Um, what's more hilarious than a stoned Jon Lovitz throwing cheerios as tiny life savers to drowning gummy bears in a bowl of soup. "Tartlet, tartlet, tartlet, tartlet... The word has lost all meaning." Oh man, it's pure genius .
 
 

7 comments:

JMJE said...

Man I used to really love Buffy. I also watched Dawson's Creek for awhile. Friends is a classic.

Britt said...

Thanks for stopping by mah blog and leaving some love! And how in the world did I forget about Dexter?! That final scene! Ugh it still stays with me!

Sam said...

I really want to see Dexter! I've heard so many good things about it

Lost in You said...

Friends!!!

I still love that show and often get nostalgic for new episodes. Although I don't know what I would do if they ever brought it back (like they did with 90210). Just the thought that it might happen some day makes me a sad panda.

One of these days, I'll have to spend some quality time with Dexter.

Belen said...

i only watch Hoarders when i feel like i need to clean up my own life. it sounds silly, but it works when i feel like i'm making myself claustrophobic on the junk i constantly buy. it forces me to keep tidy and to throw out and declutter my own living space! :)

but as for teen mom and houewives, etc, THANK YOU for not getting sucked in. hate those types of shows.

Lin said...

I loved Samantha Who? ! I was so upset when they canceled it but was happy that they ended it on a good note.

Stopping by from Lauren's blog :)

Amanda said...

Your 4 choices? 4 of my favorites. Buffy is the only one I don't own at least 1 season of on DVD :)

Ha! "The one with the stoned guy" is a definite classic!