July 5, 2010

Sugary Goodness and A Little Substance

This week I have been lucky enough to be in the thoughts of three other fabulous blogger ladies! I'm so flattered! Every time I get an award it still feels like the first time I ever got one - when I was at home in December - and I said, "Maman, maman, someone just gave me an award! for my blog!" I was shocked! And every time someone emails me "I gave you an award on my blog :)" I feel exactly the same way.
But even better than getting an award is getting to pass it on to someone else! So keep reading! Maybe there's something here for you! :)
The first one is from the lovely Jennifer at Nifer Musings and  Lovely Bee at Bee's Diaries, who both gave me the Fabulous Sugar Doll Award!
 
Thanks, Jen and Lovely Bee!

The rules say that I must share ten things about myself, and then pass it on to ten other bloggers. So here we go!
  • I love little cocktail onions! I think I've eaten a good 1/3 of the jar in the last hour!
  • I'm super ticklish almost everywhere except the bottom of my feet. Weird, I know. 
  • While packing today I realized that I have almost more cardigans than tops to wear them over. And that doesn't mean I don't have enough tops. It means I have way too many cardigans! I'm a cardiganoholic!
  • I've broken both wrists and sometimes when it's damp they get sore - like an old lady!
  • I discovered grey-ink pens a few weeks ago, and now it's hard for me to write with anything else!
  • I hate the color purple, and I might judge you a bit if you wear it too often.
  • When I was younger my favorite books were Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. I even memorized all twenty pages of The Walrus and the Carpenter.
  • This is my new favorite site (thanks to Lauren). Go check it out. I promise that it will be worth your while.
  • I'm so excited about moving to NYC, but I'm also a little scared about getting lost on the subway! (shh, don't tell my new yorker friends, they'll make fun of me!)
  • I'll have to get a new phone and cell plan when I move back to the US, but I'm stumped between getting the hyped up iPhone, or a reliable BlackBerry. Anyone have some info that could tip the scales? Or even a third suggestion?
And now, since this award is so sweet, I thought I'd pass on this sugary goodness to some of my favorite food bloggers, who pique my appetite every week with their tasty creations!


Caroline @ Whipped


Tracy @ Sugarcrafter




Kristen @ Dine & Dish

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker


 Man, that is a lot of delicious food! I highly recommend you go check out some of their sweet (and savory) delights!

***

The second award is from the amazing Leigh Ashley - one of my blogger besties :) - over at My Leigh Ashley, who gave me the A Blog With Substance Award!

Thanks, Leigh Ashley!

And with this award I'm supposed to share my blog philosophy. So here we go!

I started this blog back in September when a couple of my friends who were traveling - one through South America and one in Eastern Europe - started blogs to keep everyone posted on what they were up to. I decided that it would make sense for me to do the same, since my friends and family were spread out between the US, Canada, France and Italy and beyond, and I was soon moving to Spain. But I soon got immersed in the blogging world and The World Is My Oyster became so much more than just a travel and personal updates blog. I stated to talk about my hobbies (cooking, sewing, crafting, reading), my nomadic life and all my travels, my opinions and feelings, and my personal achievements and ambitions. It became a place for me to share, to learn, and to interact. And the most important thing this blog has done for me is put me in touch with more wonderful, creative, kind, and generous people than I could ever possibly imagine getting to know through the virtual online world. I guess I don't have a philosophy - except to try to create a positive, happy, creative place that celebrates life and all the good things it gives us - so much as the hope that this blog will continue to bring me, and you, as much happiness and satisfaction as it has so far. Thanks to all of you! :)

And I want to pass on the Blog of Substance Award to


whose real, sometimes raw, and always inspiring writing is a joy to read!

***

And with that, I've finished my packing (almost), scrubbed the apartment (sort of), and now I'm off to run some last minute errands and say some last minute goodbyes before leaving Madrid for good tonight. But I know for sure that I'll be back some day. To visit, to work, to live - whatever. This city was so welcoming and amazing, and it was virtually effortless for me to create a life for myself here - there's no way I won't come back! :) Tonight we're off to France on the train, and then road tripping across the Cote d'Azure. Next time you hear from me I'll be in the hills behind Cannes, sitting by the pool, hopefully sipping something fruity!

8 comments:

littledaisymay said...

Cardigans are my fave too! I just can't have too many :)

Susan @ SGCC said...

Congrats on your awards, Julia! They are well-deserved. I'm very flattered that you've passed one along to me. Thank you! :)

leigh ashley said...

congrats on your awards! you deserve them!! my guy has a blackberry and he says that he wishes he would have gotten an iphone. just fyi. and have a GREAT time in france!! :)

savorysweetlife said...

Thank you for including me on this list. You have a fabulous site here!

Tracy said...

Aww, thank you for the award!! I know what you mean about always being as excited as the first time you got an award - I feel the same way! :-)

Kristen - Dine & Dish said...

So nice of you to share this with me. Thank you :)
Leaving Madrid for good sounds like the close of a wonderful chapter. Hope you have very safe travels!
Thanks again!

thecoffeesnob said...

Hi Julia, moving to NYC sounds so exciting! I'm sure you'll get adjusted there in no time.

Thanks for the award! :)

Desiree said...

Ok, so I'm the lamest of the lame and I'm just now reading this! I hang my head in shame - I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!

You're the greatest - thank you so much!