June 11, 2010

This Is Unbelievabe!


So, believe it or not (I'm choosing not to, contrary to all evidence) I'm sick again. But I'm just going to pretend I want to be sitting at home wearing three layers and a scarf in June, sipping a hot beverage.

This time, instead of it being because the kids I work with are badly behaved (so I have to yell at them) or filthy (so they give me gross kid cooties), I'm pretty sure the weather is to blame. On Monday it was hot, sunny, and 34 degrees C (that's 94 degrees F), and then suddenly on Tuesday it was 9 degrees C (or 48 degrees F) and pouring freezing rain. wtf? The temperature dropped by more than two thirds overnight, and as a result (at least I think, in my un-expert non-medical opinion), I'm sick again.

Today was going to be a day full of fun and exciting plans - and at least the afternoon was. I went to get my hair cut (for the first time in a year! I know, I'm so embarrassed about it!), I went to the stationery shop to pick up part of the little gifts I'm putting together for all the teachers I work with at school (there are thirty of them!), and then I had afternoon drinks (totally socially acceptable here. It even has a name! Aperitivo) with two of my coworkers and we ended up having a lovely long chat.

Then I was supposed to rush home, change, get back on the metro and cross town to go to dinner only to come back up to my own neighborhood and go to a foam party. That's probably what changed my mind (that, and the fact that I'm pretty sure I'm bordering on a fever right now). A foam party? The one and only time I went to one of those I was eighteen and my outfit consisted of a XXXL cotton t-shirt tied to look like a dress (don't worry Maman, I wasn't too scantily clad! A XXXL practically came down to my ankles. It was definitely long -sleeved!).

I think that seven years and two rounds of pharyngitis later, I've outgrown those a bit. (Foam parties. Not XXXL t-shirts. Those are still muumuu-sized on me).

So I'm staying home on a Friday, even though I can count the weekends I have left in Madrid on one hand. But I'd rather stay in tonight and have a chance of enjoying tomorrow, instead of forcing myself to go out against everything my body is screaming at telling me, and then being sick all next week.

But it's all good. I have me a cup of warm water with lemon and honey (if I squint and tilt my head a bit, it sort of tastes like a mojito!), and I'm going to snuggle in bed with my friends, the cast of The West Wing, and finish making the handmade part of the little gifts for the teachers. If I had fifteen cats, the picture would be complete.

But don't you worry your little noggin'. I'll be back tomorrow with Six Senses Saturday! But just in case, send out good thoughts into the universe for me to feel better tomorrow, otherwise Six Senses Saturday is going to revolve around tea and throat medicine! :)


p.s. You're welcome for the gratuitous LOLcatz photo!

4 comments:

J. said...

Sending "Feel Better" vibes your way, my dear!
And I so belong in Madrid... any place that finds afternoon drinking socially acceptable is right up my alley! :)

LiLu said...

That lolcat looks like my Murray!!!

Feel better, love :-)

leigh ashley said...

aww... that sucks!! i'm sorry you're not feeling good! get better soon friend!

Keenie Beanie said...

A foam party! What a blast from the past. :-)

Hope you feel better soon.