June 13, 2010

Julia's Index

When I was in college my roommate, Kate, had a subscription to Harper's Magazine. I loved to dig into the featured pieces,but I rarely had the time to read twenty page articles about rubber bath toys being used to track ocean movement patterns (does anyone remember that, btw?), and other equally unusual yet newsworthy topics.

I did, however, always make time to take a look at Harper's Index, a page at the beginning of that magazine that was formatted to look like any index, but that was actually a collection of numerical and statistical news tidbits. It taught me many interesting facts, such as,
  • Number of toilet seats at the EU Parliament building in Brussels that a TV station had tested for cocaine: 46
  • Number that tested positive: 41 
  • Average number of extra extra calories children consume for every hour of television they watch: 167
  •  Minimum number of Italian parliamentarians from Silvio Berlusconi’s party who are former TV showgirls: 3.  
And much, much more. (Seach Harper's Index for more interesting numerical facts here. Just type in any key word - television, politics, sex, college, whatever! - and get tons of interesting facts about that topic!).

Obviously, my life isn't as news-full as Harper's Index, but I liked the idea and I thought I'd take a creative spin on the index idea, and list some old, current, irrelevant, interesting, and otherwise random numerical facts about my own life. Mine has a slightly different format from the original Harper's Index, but I liked the idea of a central column of numbers. 






5 comments:

J. said...

Fun post! I like reading interesting little facts about people!

LovelyBee said...

Hey Julia!
I hope you're feeling better from your cold.
This is such a cute post! It's weirdly *in a good way of course* interesting to see a person's life in numbers!

leigh ashley said...

i love this idea!! you're so creative!!

leigh ashley said...

i love this idea!! you're so creative!!

LovelyBee said...

Hey Julia! Thanks for the tip! I've done exactly as you've told me!! IT should work from now on!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

Have a lovely evening!