May 2, 2010

The Nautical Dress

 My newest, and dare I say, best, creation.

My mother has always had a number of Breton Stripe shirts, and in the twenty-five years I've known her to wear them, they've never gone out of style. There's something so classic and everlasting about a good nautical stripe, and it's always elegant, even when it's casual.

The other day I saw a dress exactly like this, but black with black and white stripes. I almost went in the store to see how much it cost, when I realized that it was pretty much the same as the grey skirt I made, just a little more high-waisted, and sewed onto a tank top. So instead of indulging my inner shopper with the dress, I crossed the street and went to the fabric store, where I bought the blue and white cotton. I saw these cute striped tanks at H&M for about six euro, and turns out the blue matched the skirt fabric perfectly (I actually already had some blue and white jersey, but I thought it would be easier to not make the tank top part of the dress from scratch, especially because I bought one for so cheap!). And then I added the longer lining to give it the layered blue and white hem, which, since it starts at the waist as well, adds a little more fullness to the whole skirt, and gives it a slightly girlier feel.


Add on a ruffle circle pin that I whipped up the other day (with some extra ruffles that just didn't really work with what I had originally made them for), and I've got myself a cute little summer outfit, perfect for school, or for a cool, elegant-but-not-too-fancy night on the town.

And I've also learned that making a dress is almost as easy as making a skirt! Oh, and speaking of skirts, like I said, I promise I'll make another pleated skirt, like the grey one, and post the tutorial. I always start to make it, and then get distracted by something else. But I bought the fabric, this fun, cheerful sherbet pink cotton, and I hope to have it done in the next ten days or so!


But who knows! I might end up making another dress!

Oh, and I also made some lace earrings with little bows! Cute, eh? Sort of fancy, but not too much!


And I couldn't buy less than half a yard of lace, so imagine how many of these I can make! And of all different shapes! I have flowers, tear drops, more spirally things! Obviously not all for me, but I see a lot of earrings as gifts for my girlfriends in the future :) I can't take credit for these, though. I saw the idea for them on another blog recently, but I can't for the life of me remember which blog! I'll look into it and when I remember where I saw them, I'll post the link.

Have you made anything lately that you're particularly proud of?


7 comments:

littledaisymay said...

VERY cute!

Erin said...

Love that dress! I would totally pay $50 for it and wear it every day!

Erin said...

P.S. I'm hosting a Sing-Along Sunday so if you feel like posting a song and linking up, I'd love to have you!

Jules said...

That dress is gorgeous...I'm loving stripes at the moment too! So chic!

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Wow, this dress looks perfect!! I admire your dedication and patience with those. Would love to see what the dress and rearrings look like once you put them on :)

leigh ashley said...

seriously!? this is amazing!! i would totally buy this if i saw it in a store!!

Johana Hill said...

I like the pink sherbet cotton fabric! And the nautical dress is lovely. ;p