May 26, 2010

Napping in Three Acts

Act I

Time: 11:30 am
Location: Teacher's Room
Cast:  Julia
           James' Chocolate Birthday Cake

Scene I

Yesterday was my coworker James' birthday, so this morning he brought in a birthday cake to share with the other teachers. Lauren, our other coworker, wasn't coming in 'til after lunch, so she asked me to save her a piece. So I went into the teacher's room - which I rarely ever use - and after cutting Lauren's slice of cake, and eating a little bit myself, I realize how hauntingly quiet the room is. I say hauntingly, because if you've ever worked in a school, you'll know that almost nowhere within one hundred feet of campus is quiet. So finding a cool, silent, undisturbed spot just as I was starting my break was nothing short of a miracle. I sat down in a folding chair, propped up my feet, and started reading. Soon enough, my eyes were fluttering shut, my head started bobbing, and I eventually leaned my head onto the back of the chair and fell asleep. For twenty glorious undisturbed minutes! In the middle of a school day! I woke up refreshed and ready for my rowdy three-year-olds.


Act II

Time: 1:30 pm
Location: Library
Cast: Julia
         Lauren
         Lauren's Slice of Cake
         James
         Two other Spanish teachers

Scene I


After lunch, I usually go sit in the park and try to soak up some rays and relax a little beyond the reach of the children's lunch-time shrieking. But today it was a little windy, and neither of my regular park buddies were around, so I decided to head to the library to read a bit before class started at 2:00. James is also reading at a table, and Lauren is sitting next to me, looking longingly at the delicious-smelling cake which she decided to save for later. The two Spanish teachers are at the computer, typing something into a spreadsheet, and reciting an endless list of digits. Again, it's a cool, relatively quiet room, and the chanting of numbers is having a sort of hypnotic effect on me. Again, I try to read my book, but my lids start feeling heavy and my head in nodding forward. I eventually give in, and rest my head on my arms on the table. This time I only managed to get about ten minutes of shut eye - the constant stream of out loud numbers eventually got annoying. But still, a little after lunch nap? Not too shabby!

Act III

Time: 4:15 pm
Location: 512 Bus
Cast: Julia
        An extremely loud woman on a cellphone, sitting right behind me
        Various other bus riders


Scene I

Wednesdays are usually my afternoon from hell, because I end with a class of five-year-old little monsters followed by a class of two-year-old anarchists. Needless to say, it's usually a rough ride home and I often find myself wishing I could teleport back to by bedroom. But today I had a remarkable amount of energy. The
five-year-olds I bribed with some clips of old Disney movies, and the two-year-olds were in the playground. I had all these grand plans to go to the gym and then go to the track by my house and run 5k. The minute I sit down on the bus, I start to get sleepy. I think it rocks in a way that mimics the effects of Valium, because it is virtually impossible for me to get on that bus home and not fall asleep - even with music and a book. I'm reading, when for the third time today I feel my eyes closing, and at this point I know better not to fight it - I just let my chin sink into my chest, and I sleep for fifteen wonderful minutes. I eventually get woken up by the bus lurching into the station, and all the other impatient passengers elbowing me to get by.

***

I know I talk a lot about being tired - occupational hazard - but I cannot for the life of me remember that last day that I accidentally napped three times in one day! And you know what? I'm still exhausted! I think my bedtime is shaping up to be right around sundown today.

Have any great naps recently?



p.s. Don't forget to sign up for my GIVEAWAY for the chance to win one of three different prizes (for three different winners!). GO check it out!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Napping is GLORIOUS!!! My day is ruined if I don't get a nap in on my morning commute. And the other day I even managed to get a solid nap in on my commute home AND go to bed early. I don't fight it when my body tells me I need to sleep. Usually it's me telling my body it DOESN'T need to sleep. Ha!

leigh ashley said...

i have such a hard time taking naps... i think it's the daylight. just can't do it. sounds like reading puts you right to sleep!! :)

LovelyBee said...

I double, triple heart naps!

I try to nap at least 3 times a week; seriously I am sleep deprived so whenever I can squeeze in some shut-eye is totally awe..........wait for it..........Some! :)

Julia said...

I am not a power napping fan. My love affair with napping is bittersweet. This is because I am more of a sleep-for-4-hours type of napper. I love those naps. I cherish them. But I NEVER feel rested when I wake up. I walk around in a dream like state. And when that dose of nappage finally registers in my brain, I cannot, for the life of me, fall asleep at a decent bed time.

I love that you leave your school for a quiet break during the day. That's just not possible for me!