May 9, 2010

Reasons My Maman is the Best Maman in the World

I debated whether or not posting about my mom on mother's day. It's so overdone.

But then again, why should I explicitly not do something just because everyone else is doing it? I guess I don't like to swim with the current on lot of things. If a movie I haven't seen yet wins an Oscar and gets a lot of hype, I'll probably refuse to see it until at least five years later (as was the case with Gladiator, and Million Dollar Baby).

But today is all about mothers. And it's also the first mother's day for The World is My Oyster. So why not take the time to write the obligatory mother's day post about my mom? She definitely deserves it.

So in the end my filial love won over my hate for hype, and I decided to do the Mother's Day Post.

Maman (the hottie mother-of-two)
My brother, Lucas (the melon-headed baby)
Me (the sassy looking toddler with the awesome suspenders)
Circa 1988



My Maman is the Best Maman in the World
  • She never used to wake us up early on the weekends. Instead, she would make us pancakes almost every Sunday, and yummy hot chocolate every morning before school;
  • She introduced me to all my favorite music - Billie Holiday, Diana Krall, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, The Gypsy Kings, Getz & Gilberto;
  • She made sure we grew up speaking three languages;
  • She taught me to cook, bake, and to love doing it, all while keeping it healthy;
  • She brought us on so many adventures - Mexico, Arizona, Spain, the French and Italian Alps, Canada, Provence, the Cote d'Azure, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Paris, Vermont, and so many more;
  • She taught me the importance of being honest, not just with others, but with yourself;
  • She'll randomly surprise me with little sartorial gifts, while at the same time keeping me in check when I just have to have that new pair of shoes;
  • She has always encouraged me to do whatever makes me happy, and has wholeheartedly supported every decision I've made;
  • She's (slowly, but surely) taught me the importance of financial responsibility;
  • She gave me the opportunity to explore everything that piqued my interest at some point or another during my childhood - ballet, choir, musical theater, sculpture, piano, ceramics, drawing, gymnastics, cross country running, crew - just in case it was something I would end up loving and wanted to do forever;
  • She makes silly pronunciation mistakes in English and is still a good sport about letting us poke fun at her French accent;
  • We wear the same size in clothes and shoe, and if she has something I really love she'll let me steal it :);
  • She taught me how to fold a fitted sheet;
  • She helped me arrive at the realization that it's better to have one great, timeless item of clothing, than a bunch of "meh" disposable pieces;
  • And she helped me pick out those great, timeless items;
  • She gave us crash courses in table manners before going to visit my grandmother in France, and was never exasperated when she had to do it all over again the next summer,
  • She taught me that looking put together is important;
  • But also that there's nothing better getting messy and dirty while doing something fun.
  • She taught me how to properly set a table for a dinner party (even with multiple forks and knives!);
  • She has showed me that living a life full of compassion and generosity towards other, even if it occasionally means cutting back on something for yourself, is the most satisfying kind of life;
  • She's always willing to have a homebody night on the couch with a yummy dinner and a movie, even when we've made plans to go to the cinema;
  • She taught me how to make crepes. And then repeated the recipe from memory to me, every time I called to ask her what ingredient I was forgetting;
  • She gave me her beautiful green eyes, and petite frame :)
I'm pretty sure I could go on forever about how awesome my mom is (she really is the best in the world!), but I'll stop now. I think she gets the idea :)

I Love You, Maman
Happy Mother's Day!



p.s. Oh, and by the way, remember that secret mother's day sewing project I was working on that I couldn't talk about until she received the package? Well, she got it, and she loved it :) But unfortunately I wasn't clever enough to remember to take pictures before I mailed it out! So you'll never get to see my handiwork. But it was a set of three different beauty cases - one a zippered cube for make up, one an upright lunch bag-style pouch for taller bottles, and one a cylindrical pencil case with a wraparound ribbon for long narrow items like make up brushes and combs.

5 comments:

Sam Liu said...

This is a brilliant list, Julia, I'm sure you're mother is very proud, and your mum sounds like a wonderful woman as well. Happy Mother's Day to all the mums out there! :)

Neely said...

I loved reading this. You are such a great writer and this was so fun to read.

:: Gina :: said...

i love your list.
were both lucky girls =D

LiLu said...

"She made sure we grew up speaking three languages..."

This is something I really, really want to do for my children someday. Awesome :-)

leigh ashley said...

beautiful julia! and what a sweet photo! she sounds just wonderful!