May 10, 2010

Gown vs. Cocktail Dress? I Need Your Help!

So I discovered this amazing, huge fabric warehouse store down on Calle Atocha, and so I went there last week to pick out some fabric to make a birthday present for Valerio. I ended up coming home with a bunch of different stuff (in addition to the fabric for him). It was all so awesome, and most of it was on sale, so I couldn't resist.

Two of the fabrics I came home with were this grey tulle with tiny matte silver sequins in a spiral-y design, and a sort of dull silver satin to go under (since the tulle is see-through).

 
I got a yard and a half of each, thinking I could make something sort of funky, like a skirt, or a slinky top.

But then I was walking home from the gym and I saw a dress in a shop window that looked so beautiful and so simple to make! It was a simple draw-string ribbon neckline, open on the shoulders, and the fabric shapelessly yet elegantly draped down in a sort of grecian tunic way. The dress I saw was black satin with a white ribbon neckline, but I thought that it would look great with the grey sequins combination I'd bought. I took my measurements, sewed up the neckline, and left it long, so that trying it on I could decide on what length to hem it.

But now I can't decide! It looks pretty cool as a floor-length gown. But it's a little too fancy (with the sequins and the satin bow) to be a summer-time maxi dress. On the other hand, pinned up short, it looks sort of silly as a cocktail dress. I can't decide if I should leave it long or hem it short!

So I thought to myself, "Julia, you trust your readers, don't you? Why don't you let them decide? They can vote for their favorite length, and then you can see what other people think looks better/less ridiculous!" (Because let's face it people, I'll still have to find the courage to wear a silver sequin dress out in public - no matter the length!)

So below are pictures of how it would look long and short (approximations, since the hems aren't complete in either photo). Do you prefer the dress long or short? (Btw, ignore the horrible photos. I came back from the gym/a run/grocery shopping and took the photos while I was changing, which is why I cut out my head and super bad after-work-out hair. Plus the neckline ribbon bow is sort of lame looking at the moment. Oh, and yeah, I'm standing on my bed, because that's the only place where I can get a photo in front of bare wall :) And yes, that navy blue thing is a pillow I accidentally stepped on).

 Short (with a sort of bubble hem)

Long

Oh, and if you prefer it short, do you think it would look better with a bubble hem (close to how it is in the picture with the hem pinned up inside), or with a straight hem?  

So these are your options:

 Long.
Short with a bubble hem,
Short with a straight hem (which I don't have a picture of, but use your imagination),
Any other suggestion you have!

Please leave your vote, with any editorial ideas, in the comments! I really appreciate any suggestions, because I really don't know that to do! I guess I could come up with some sort of button system to hold the dress up within itself to make it short, and then have the option of letting it down to be floor-length, but that seems kind of ghetto. And as you can see in the picture where it's short, the whole bottom of the dress is pinned up inside, making it extra poofy looking. 

I think I would probably get more use out of the short version. But it would also be so cool to have sewed a gown for myself! How often do you get to do that!? But on the other hand, how often would I wear it?

See, it's a vicious cycle, I clearly am not fit to decide for myself!

Help me, please?

17 comments:

leigh ashley said...

yes, yes, i like the short version with the bubble hem. that's my fave!!

Aunt of 14 said...

It IS cute! I like the short with straight hem idea. The bubble is cute too, I just wonder if you'd be able to tell if your underwear was showing. Or your butt, if you don't wear underwear.

Maureen said...

oooooh i've been looking for fabric just like this to drape over the white tablecloths for my wedding reception for this sparkly wintery look. this is fabulous! must search for tulle with sequins...
anyway that's not what you asked. i like long, but you are probably right that you wouldn't wear it. i would say long or short with a straight hem. it's a great dress! :)

Julia said...

Short with straight hem. But think about it..which would you prefer to wear and which would you wear more often? I don't like how I look with a bubble hem, but I do love short dresses.

Whitney said...

Definitely short and I think with the straight hem but I think it would like great either way!

Desiree said...

Short with a straight hem and some sassy heels! I know you probably didn't mean to, but I love your hot pink nails against the silver fabric!

Lisa said...

First off, great job on sewing the dress! I love the fabrics! :) I like both lengths, but I think the short length with a straight hem would be really cute (I'm not the biggest fan of bubble hems on people). You could even consider belting it for a more casual look. :)

JP said...

I am a fan of great legs so I'd go with the short version... but I've never been a fan of the bubble skirt... so I'd go with the short straight version...

Alyssa said...

good gosh girl. you are on a mission at the moment arent you!

ok so my thoughts! the long is nice, but i think it being long is too much of a block, its a bit chunky looking. i think because its just one colour it needs to be shorter so its not too sackish. if that makes sense :) but i adore the material!

Valerio said...

complimenti, ormai sei diventata stilista!è molto bello il vestito!!io prefestisco lungo, sembra molto stile "Antica Roma", e ti sta un sacco bene!;)

Lauren said...

Hmmm decisions, decisions, I really like it long. But, let´s keep in mind that you do live in Madrid, and that could get pretty darn hot in the summer. But long is classy. I vote long. P.S. Nice Blog!

Nicole Z said...

Short and straight! The fabric is great but can be overwhelming if you leave it long. Plus, it's summer! Show off those legs! :)

TIERAsta said...

I like the short version with the bubble hem! It's gorg!

At least I'm skinny said...

I like short with a straight hem.

Bree said...

I'm voting for shirt with a straight hem. I think it will be more wearable than the long version.

sultanaosk said...

Great Content.I have appreciate with getting lot of good and reliable information with your post.......
Thanks for sharing such kind of nice and wonderful collection......again, beautiful :) I love reading your posts. They make me happy .
sexy shirts

sajib ahmed said...

I am very enjoyed for this blog. I feel strongly about it and love very beautiful dress and sexy dress. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.
sexy tops