May 22, 2010

Flourless Chocolate Cake with a Dark Chocolate Ganache

 {via}

I'm at my friend Meghan's house, baking a cake for her boyfriend's party tonight. I didn't really have to - the party is on the other side of town (sort of annoying to bring a cake to) and he's already taking care of everything - but I wanted to.

You see, Meghan has an oven.

And I have been dying to use it. Even if it means hauling a messy chocolate cake (while wearing a white t-shirt!) halfway across town to a party full of people I barely know.

I originally wanted to make Tres Leches Cake, or  The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake. Ever. But those both had too many ingredients and used too many kitchen utensils. While Meghan may have an oven, Madrid rental apartments aren't usually stocked with everything necessary for frustration-free baking. So I thought I would go with something easy yet delicious: a simple and easy five ingredient flourless chocolate cake. The most complicated thing is melting the chocolate in a double boiler. And then to sweeten the deal a bit, I thought I'd pair it with a decadent dark chocolate ganache topping.

Flourless Chocolate Cake
adapted from Bakin' and Eggs

Ingredients:
8 ounces good quality bittersweet (not semi-sweet) chocolate, roughly chopped
2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Ganache:
8 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
1 cup heavy cream

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 9 or 10 inch springform pan and line the bottom with wax or parchment paper (cut into a circle to fit bottom of pan). Make sure to grease the liner as well.
In a double broiler or in a large bowl over a pan of simmering water, add chocolate and butter. Stir constantly until melted. Remove bowl from heat and whisk in sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Last, sift cocoa powder into mixture and whisk until just combined.
Pour batter into prepared springform pan and bake for 35-40 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out with moist crumbs and top should have a thin crust.
While the cake is baking, melt chocolate and heavy cream in a double boiler, and mix until smooth. Set aside on low heat. Cool cake in pan on a rack for 10 minutes and then remove sides of pan. Invert cake on a plate and then back onto the rack to fully cool before serving. When the cake is fully cooled, pour the ganache over the top and spread around with a spoon. Set cake aside until ganache firms up.
Yield: 10-12 servings

 My cake is still in the oven, but I'll post a picture when it's finished!




7 comments:

Whitney said...

That's an awesome recipe. I must might have to try it!

leigh ashley said...

that sounds FANTASTIC!! mmm...

Julia said...

It sounds easy and sooo good! I'll be making it!

Margarita said...

Oh my, that looks delicious! Good luck with the cake, I'm sure it'll be divine. I laughed at the part where you said you'd jump to make the cake somewhere that has an oven - I've felt like that before too!!

Erin Wallace said...

I love a great flourless chocolate cake! I'm going to have to try this recipe, but will use strawberries on top as I am not so crazy about rasperries.

Fab blog! I am your newest follower.

xo Erin

Mrs. Dontje said...

i gave you an award on my blog! xo

http://bdontje.blogspot.com/

Kanwalful said...

I wanna know how it turned out. And it would be even nicer if you can email me a bite ;)