May 17, 2010

Exhaustion in Every Sense of the Word

I'm too old for this shit.

This weekend was nothing short of insane. Well, for my old, early-twenties self, it would have been a walk in the park. But I'm twenty-five now. I can't go out three nights in a row and stay out until four am and then be chipper on Monday morning. I just don't have it in me anymore. College me is probably laughing and pointing at myself right now, but hey, I'm not ashamed to admit it. I value a good night's sleep!

Both Valerio and my cousin Paolo were visiting over the weekend, and Paolo was here with about twelve or so of his basketball teammates. They all arrived Thursday and left on Sunday, which gave them three nights of Madrid Mayhem. And Saturday was also San Isidro (the patron saint of Madrid), and 2010 is the 100th anniversary of the Gran Via, so the whole city was out celebrating with free concerts and events. Throw in Thursday and Friday nights on the town as well, and that makes for one tired chicadee (which would be me). Waking up for work this morning was one of the hardest things I've had to do in a long time, as was teaching a bunch of screaming children all day.

But luckily I did my job at resident hostess (except for on Saturday night - which was freezing, and when we ended up walking around for over two hours without being able to decide where to go - when I was about to break some legs), and it seems the that whole gang had a great weekend.

I didn't take as many pictures as I could have (my fingers were cold), but I did get some interesting photos from the weekend.

Paolo rocking the Newsies hat. Apparently typical male Madrileno garb!


The 100th Anniversary of Gran Via Cake
By Day

By Night

Valerio and Me in front of the cake

An awesome window display for El Corte Ingles 
Celebrating the fashion of the last 100 years

All of the clothes were made out of paper!

Dancing at Las Cibeles
Valerio rocking some dance moves

The Blue Carpet
which ran down the entire length of Gran Via!


And the two of us doing the Runway Model Walk

yeah, I look a little confused...

 Plaza Callao, totally packed with people


Festive buildings along Gran Via

"Wine is the milk of the old"
Painted on the wall of a little watering hole


I do have some more pictures, but they involve a bunch of extra tall basketball players trying to dance to salsa music on a stage. I think I'll spare their dignity by keeping the photos to myself. :) 

As fun and sleepless and insane as this weekend was, I'm looking forward to a nice,calm week of going to sleep by eleven and not having to literally throw myself out of bed in the morning. 

After all, it's not so bad being twenty-five!

What are you  getting too old for? 



3 comments:

leigh ashley said...

that looks like so much fun julia! i don't know if i could've even made it through two nights in a row... 27 is just not 25. haha!! :)

Amanda said...

Great pictures. Looks like you had a fun weekend. Love the pictures of you guys strutting down the runway!

Mrs. Dontje said...

ahhh i would love to walk on that gran via carpet!!