May 6, 2010

Chipotle Lime Chicken Fajitas

I wish these were the ones I made, but I ate them so fast I didn't get a photo.
These are random internet fajitas :)
But mine looked pretty similar. Without the cheese.

I completely forgot about Cinco de Mayo until I walked past my local Mexican restaurant yesterday, and saw a big sign outside for a special celebratory menu they were offering. I would have totally gone to eat there (I've been craving Mexican food for weeks!), but the place is prohibitively expensive. It's like eight euro for a little dish of guacamole and some tortilla chips! So instead I went to the supermarket and got myself all the fixings for fajitas! I made these last night, and they were so delicious that I has the leftovers for dinner again tonight! And, if you go easy on the oil, they're actually really light and healthy, too. It's a win win meal!

Chipotle Lime Fajitas

Ingredients:
  • 1 chicken breast, cut into strips lengthwise
  • 1 small green pepper
  • 1 small red onion
  • 1 lime
  • 2 small cloves of garlic
  • A few sprigs of cilantro
  • 2-3 corn tortillas
  • 1/2 small chipotle, minced, and 1 tsp of adobo sauce
  • 2-3 romaine lettuce leaves (optional)
  • Olive oil (for frying pan)
  • Salt
  • Black pepper

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Juice lime into a bowl, and add minced garlic cloves are chopped cilantro. Salt and pepper to taste.
  • Pour lime garlic marinade over raw chicken strips, turning the pieces to coat pieces well. Set aside.
  • Slice onion and green pepper, and sautee in olive oil until onions are translucent. Lower heat and cover, stirring occasionally.
  • When peppers and onions are cooked through, but not too soft (onions should start to be a little caramelized, and you should be able to cut through the strips of pepper with a fork), set the vegetable mixture aside.
  • Put the tortillas in the oven to warm.
  • Heat one tablespoon of olive oil, and mix in the minced chipotle and the adobo sauce (use just the sauce if you don't want the fajitas too spicy).
  • Pour the chicken with all the marinade mixture into the chipotle oil, and stir until chicken is well coated.
  • Sautee until chicken is cooked through, and then put the peppers and onions back into the frying pan with the chicken.
  • Sautee until meat and veggies are warmed throughout.
  • Remove corn tortillas from oven. Place a lettuce leaf on each tortilla, and spoon the chicken veggie mixture onto the lettuce.
  • Roll up and enjoy!

An extra delicious side is a corn tortilla cut into triangles, baked until crispy, and served with warmed chipotle refried beans. Guacamole and Mexican rice would be delicious too! But I didn't make those :)

Did you do anything for Cinco de Mayo yesterday?


5 comments:

Whitney said...

Oh man those sound sooo good. Fajitas are one of my favorite foods.

I didn't do anything for cinco de mayo. I totally forgot about it until my students had "fiesta pizza" for lunch and by the time I got home, I finished homework and went to bed. Super lame!

Maybe I'll make up for it and celebrate this weekend.

the20somethinggirl said...

Your blog is a little joy <3

BarelyVogue said...

Yummm!!! Feliz Cinco de mayo
Keep in touch! Visit my blog http://barelyvogue.blogspot.com/ to win a giveaway

xx
Sahi
http://barelyvogue.blogspot.com/

Amanda said...

Thanks for giving me the heads up on this recipe. It looks absolutely fantastic. Definitely trying it next time :)

sam lee said...

If you are happy with this design please make referesnsi and inspire you to find Mother of The Bride Dresses design that suits you and wedding decorations are already predetermined.