May 7, 2010

Blanking About Books

Oh, sweet weekend, how I look forward to you every weekday. And thankfully you are upon us again! Unluckily bringing inclement weather. But I'll make my peace with a little spring rain in exchange for being able to sleep in tomorrow. 

It's Friday, which as you all know, means another round of filling in some blanks! Make sure you link up with Lauren.


1.  My favorite book growing up was     The Little House on the Prarie series, by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Little House in the Big Woods was my favorite.  And also the Happy Hollisters, and Nancy Drew. I loved me a good mystery! And those are all more than just one book. But you know I have a problem picking favorites :)   .

2.  The funniest book I've ever read was     Absurdistan, by Gary Shteyngart. I highly, highly recommend it to anyone who wants to really laugh out loud.

3.  The one book that has truly changed my life is    Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert. It's sort of been a little bastardized for me, now that it's being turned into a major motion picture starring Julia Roberts, but when I read it and no one else had heard of it yet (except the friend who mailed it to me), it really struck a chord in my life. But maybe because I was living in Rome at the time experiencing everything she experienced, eating in the same places, seeing the same sites that she was when she was to Rome .

4.  If you're looking for a real "tear jerker" you should probably read    The Outsiders,  by S. E. Hinton. Those greasers may have been poor in money, but they were sure rich in spirit!  

5.  If I could meet any author living or dead I would want to meet    Dorothy Parker. She was one bad-ass broad even back in the day! Imagine how awesome she would be to hang out with now!

6.  The next book on my "to read" list is   Invisible, by Paul Auster. I bought it last week, and it's sitting on my night table (read: stack of already read books by my bed, since I have like no furniture) waiting for me to finish Tess of the d'Ubervilles (which is taking forever!)

7.  If I was snowed into  remote cabin in the woods and could only choose three books to bring with me I'd bring      Gone With the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell. Long, but entertaining, and it would certainly keep me occupied. Then a couple of Marian Keyes books. Sort of chick lit, but that actually deal with real-life issues and aren't all sappy all the time. Plus all the characters are sassy, hilarious Irish women, who doesn't love those? Or maybe some Tolstoy and Dostoevsky. Those Russian aristocrats sure had a lot of drama going on!.

 ***

This weekend is looking to be a full one as well. I have a colleague's informal shindig this evening, and tomorrow another birthday party, when we'll be hitting up Kapital, Madrid's biggest (seven floor) nightclub. Not exactly my scene, but it's for a friend. Plus there's a whole floor just for karaoke, so if I get bored listening to Lady Gaga on repeat on the dance floor (they love her here in Spain) I can go belt my heart out to Total Eclipse of the Heart. Aren't you jealous :)

What are your fun plans for this weekend?


4 comments:

JP said...

1. My favorite book growing up was...

I had a Star Wars novelization that I read over and over...

2. The funniest book I've ever read was...

I loved reading Wil Wheaton's book "Just a Geek"...

3. The one book that has truly changed my life is...

"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" by Mark Haddon. It tells the story of a boy trying to figure out what happened to a dog that lived near him and ended up dead. The twist is that the story is told from the perspective of the boy who has Aspergers... Having a child with Autism it was like peering into her head.

4. If you're looking for a real "tear jerker" you should probably read...

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt. He was such a brilliant story teller and could move you to tears and have you laughing in the same paragraph.

5. If I could meet any author living or dead I would want to meet...

JRR Tolkien. What a brilliant mind.

6. The next book on my "to read" list is...

You know I don't really have one right now...

7. If I was snowed into remote cabin in the woods and could only choose three books to bring with me I'd bring...

Lord of the Rings, Hunt for Red October and the Silmarillion.

Whitney said...

It makes me so sad how really awesome books are ruined by movies. I'm worried that's what's going to happen to Eat, Pray, Love. I loved that book too and I read it at a time in my life that was really sad and just awkward and I felt like I could relate so well to it. I still have some quotes from it hanging in my room.

Also, A++ for your answer about The Outsiders. That is one of my favorite books of all time!

brlracincwgrl said...

I did this post as well! :).

I'm actually reading Eat, Pray, Love, right now and absolutely love it! It's amazing.

Katie said...

I'm currently reading Eat Pray Love too and I love it!