April 14, 2010

On Baby Werewolves Making Me Sick and Other Stories

My kids must be werewolves or something. So much of their mood and behavior is dependent on the weather that I'm starting to almost get a little concerned. Monday was a gorgeous, warm, sunny, spring day, and all my kids were magical. I wanted to smoosh each one of their little faces with love. Tuesday and Wednesday, on the other hand, Spring took a hike and left us with her ugly step-sister - that horrible week when you Winter is turning into Spring, and you have the worst weather qualities of each, rain, cold, dampness, wind. And my children behaved accordingly, like the horrid little monstrosities they are when they don't listen and don't behave.

I literally screamed my throat off at them in the last two days, and now I have a killer sore throat to show for it. I'm really, reaally hoping that it's just because of the screaming, and that I'm not actually coming down with something (although I am a little achy...) because we all remember how I was sick for the entire month of February, and that was horrible. It is almost impossible to do your job as a teacher when you can't really speak, let alone raise your voice.

So today I come straight home, made some tea, got into bed, and took a three-hour nap. My throat still feels like it's trying to stab itself every time I take a sip of something, but generally I'm feeling a bit better, and I'm hoping I'll be fine enough tomorrow morning to go into school and try my "new" (read: necessary) quiet teacher method, where I talk so quietly the kids have to pipe down to hear me.

The point of all of this (and there is a point) is that today I was having a pretty crappy afternoon in general. So imagine my joy when I opened by inbox and found a message from Leigh Ashley, giving me the Beautiful Blogger Award!


Isn't she sweet? I think she may be in for a surprise of her own!
(aren't I good at foreshadowing? :)

But first, this comes with the requirement that I list seven things about me.

1. My new favorite fruit is the Cherimoya (or Chirimoya). I just discovered it, like a month ago, and I can't stop eating it! Luckily they sell it in almost all the fruit and veggies vendors around my house. Haven't tried one? Go find one and eat it right away! You'll thank me! So delicious! (I'm eating one right now!)
2. I haven't cut my hair in ten months! I was growing it out the stupid way (without taking care of it) and now that I'm in Spain, I'm afraid to go to the hairdresser and inadvertently ask for a mullet (which is apparently their go-to style when you aren't extremely clear about what you want!).
3. I just discovered something else I really like: spicy tea! Not spicy in the spiced way, spicy in the hot and spicy way. My mom suggested putting cayenne pepper in my tea, to help with the inflammation, and not only did it work, but it was delicious! Mint tea with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and a grind of hot pepper - yummy and good for sick days!
4. The first thing I'm going to do when I move to  NY this summer is go to the enormous Whole Foods in Union Sq. And buy so much sushi my fridge will be stocked for a week. And then, for the hell of it, I'll go out to an actual sushi restaurant.
5. This week I was going to go to the gym every day. So far, I've only been on Monday. But in my defense, yesterday I was exhausted and today I feel like there's a cat-fight going on in my throat, so I blame the kids. Yeah, they're why I didn't go to the gym...
6. I'm afraid that by the time June rolls around I'll have lived in Spain for five months, and I won't have traveled outside of Madrid at all. I've traveled around Spain in the past, but not with Madrid as my home base, and are are so many more placed I'd love to see. Although if I had just one long weekend left, I would go to Morocco.

number seven is a sort-of embarrassing confession!

7.  I listened to one of those relaxation videos today! I came home from school, and I was so achy that lying down in bed didn't help at all. So I was searching on Youtube for some relaxing music - like some delicate Chopin, with a background of babbling brook and chirping birdies - and I found one of those post-yoga relaxation videos where they walk you through the process of relaxing every part of your body, from the top of your head to your toes. Can I just say, I was out like a light. Three minutes into that six-minute video I was sleeping like a baby. I highly suggest it to anyone with insomnia. That woman's voice is like Valium!

I'm supposed to pass this on to seven bloggers, but I'm begging off because I posted this award in March and already passed it on, and because I have one more important thing left to do - revive my blog award, and return the favor. 

The Fifth Bi-Weekly (cum monthly) Pearl of the Blog World Award.

Of course, like every award, there is a question that goes along with it. But just one.

The world is your oyster, and you are looking for your pearl. What is it?

Happiness? The Meaning of Life? Riches? Adventure? Love? What is it you're looking for?
(grab the award, stick it on your blog, answer the question, 
and then pass on the award to one lucky blogger 
whose blog you think makes the blog world a little shinier!)  
And now, (imagine a drum roll, please), the Pearl of the Blog World Award goes to


Her blog is a newbie, but you can already tell she has great style! 

Go check it out!

And that's my cue to get back in bed!

5 comments:

leigh ashley said...

and i thought one award was an honor! two in one day?? thank you so much for this, julia! you brighten my days!

ps. i hope you feel better and that those kitties in your throat stop scratching each other! :)

Sam Liu said...

Well done to Leigh Ashley on winning the award! Hope your throat recovers soon, Julia and, by the way, spicy tea? Sounds interesting, I must try it some time :)

Sadako said...

Congrats on the award!

Mullets are the default in Spain?! Dear god.

thecoffeesnob said...

Hi Julia. I cracked up when I read that you haven't cut your hair in ten months. I do the same thing too- I always try to grow my hair a lot longer, then get impatient and cut it all off and then the cycle repeats itself. Genius ain't I? :)

Your blog looks amazing- I can't wait to check the rest of it out!

Juliette Crane said...

found your blog via Leigh's and am excited to keep reading! thank you for the inspiration :)
best wishes!
juliette