April 15, 2010

Faringitis De Caballo!

Those were pretty much the doctor's exact words.

I managed to haul my ass into school today, even though when I woke up my throat still felt like I had been swallowing broken glass all night. I spent the first hour and a half just playing music and dancing around with the kids. They're one-year-olds, they have no idea if I'm not actually "teaching" them anything. But by 10:30 my impending class with the more rambunctious two-year-olds was starting to be a concern, so I made my excuses and went to go see the school doctor, expecting him to tell me to yell less, and get back to class (as he usually does with teachers who go to complain of their aches and pain to try to get out of teaching - not unlike our students :)

He took one look at my throat and told me I had "una faringitis de caballo," or "a case of pharyngitis that could bring down a horse!" He said if I didn't start on antibiotics right away, I would have a fever by this afternoon, and in fact, I was already starting to get all aches and pains associated with a fever. So he wrote me a prescription and sent me off to the pharmacy. I sort of made it through the rest of the day - playing music and movies and having the kids draw - but then managed to leave an hour early anyway to go home and get some sleep.

I took a glorious four-hour nap from 6:00 to 10:00 and now, after waking up to a grumbling tummy and fixing myself breakfast for dinner, I'm going back to bed. I can't say I don't like this napping thing, but the being sick part is sort of putting a damper on the fun of it. I hope this goes away soon, being sick is starting to be a little tiring.

3 comments:

leigh ashley said...

oh my goodness! i'm so sorry you're feeling so badly! i hope you start to feel better soon!!

No One Reads The Copy said...

Oh no! Rest up and feel better soon!

Erin said...

That sounds just awful! I hope you feel better quickly! Keep on napping, it helps!