March 11, 2010

Pretty Please?

If there's one thing I love more than getting comments, it's answering them. I love being able to get into a dialogue with you guys, and laughing about jokes, hashing out opposite points of view, hearing suggestions... whatever.

But, unfortunately, I can only do that with about half of you. See, I check my comments in my e-mail (I get an e-mail notification for each comment), and I have the option to hit reply, and reply directly to the commenter's e-mail address. It's so convenient - no need to comment back on my own blog, with the chance that the person won't stop by again, no need to click over to that person's blog, and leave a totally unrelated comment on one of their posts. It's just simpler to be able to e-mail people back.

The reason I can only e-mail back some of you, and not all of you, is because not all of you have checked the "show e-mail address" box in your blogger profile (see how below). I was guilty of this too, until a few short weeks ago, when JennyMac, from Let's Have a Cocktail, left me a comment saying, "please, pretty please, check the "show e-mail address" box on your blogger profile so I can email you back to respond to your comments!." I went to see my profile, and low and behold, I hadn't checked the box! And in fact, whenever someone tried to e-mail me back about a comment, they would get that pesky "no-reply@blogger.com" return address, and be unable to respond. Balls!

And that's the same pesky return address I get for about half of you wonderful readers and commenters, when I try to email you back with a reply to your sweet, funny, and informative comments. And believe me, if you take the 10 seconds now to go to your blogger profile and make your e-mail address available, you won't just be helping me, and all the other bloggers who want to reply to you, but you'll see how happy you'll be when your inbox starts to get flooded with all the nice responses people want to give you about your nice comments!
If you're not sure if this applies to you, go through the steps anyway and check that everything is in order.


Don't just do it for me, do it for yourself!

How To "Show" Your Email Address and Have Replies to Comments You Leave Emailed To You

Go to the blogger dashboard. On the left, next to your photo, there's a list of links:

Click edit profile.
 On the page it brings you to, under the first section, "Privacy" check the "show my email address box."


Then below, under the "Identity" section, it shows your user name (your personal email address you used to sign into blogger and create your blog) and right below that there's an email address box. If it's the same as your personal email address, and that's not the email address you want to use to receive/reply to/and get replies to your comments, change it to your blog's email address.


It wont have any effect on your management of the blog, and it wont change the email address you use to sign into blogger, but it will be the email address that other people reply to when you leave comments. But make sure you've checked off the "show my email address" box above in the "Privacy" section! Then click save profile at the bottom of the page. And you should be all set!



How To Get Your Comments E-Mailed To You

Go to the Blogger Dashboard, then to Settings,



and then click on the Comments subtab.


Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the Comment Notification Email box.


 Put your email address in that box, and instead of checking your comments directly on your blog, you'll get an email for every comment you receive. Then to reply to the comment, you just reply to the email from your inbox. If you don't want people to see your personal e-mail address, do not use your personal e-mail address to receive your comments, because when you reply to them, it's the address people will see. If you don't already have one, you might want to make an e-mail address just for your blog (for example, mine is: theworldismyoyster@lookingformypearl.com) and put that one in the Comment Notification Email box. You have to remember to check it though!


14 comments:

Julia said...

I DID IT! Or else I think I did. I went through all of the steps and everything, now I just have to see if it works!

lschro said...

I recently created an email for my blog, but I wasn't sure if I had checked that box. Then I checked my blog's email and saw a response from you!! So hooray for me checking boxes and for email responses!!

Jamie said...

I have now become one of those people who creates an email address specifically for their blog. I never thought I would do that. Perhaps I should pimp it out now. Ha!

Thanks for the little nudge though!

Al said...

i wondered why some email addresses come up and some dont! thankyou for clearing that confusion up!!

I think i fixed mine.. THINK!

JennyMac said...

YEAH!!! This is great info to share.

No One Reads The Copy said...

How do you do it?

No One Reads The Copy said...

oh whoops, I see you've answered that!

Deidre said...

Ah, I have my e-mail address as a no show - but you can e-mail me at decoybetty [at] gmail [dot] com

:)

Kelly L said...

Aha! Someone else had mentioned this too but I was not smart enough to figure out how to fix it without your instructions. yay!

Anasthaesium said...

Did it!!

Hope you feel proud for making me do all that work!!
:D

Elle said...

Annnnd done :)!

Lucia ♥ said...

Thank you so much for letting me know about this sweety :) I followed all the steps and so hopefully it will all work now <3

M... said...

Thanks so much! I'm new to blogging, though I've lurked for a long time on many a blog. I had no idea I needed to do this. :)

Des said...

Thank you so much for explaining how to list my email on blogger, Julia. I've adjusted it now. Again, I really appreciate it.