March 23, 2010

Itty Bitty Baby Dress!


So remember how I got a sewing machine and started embellishing all my clothes with ribbon ruffles? Well, I got kind of bored of ribbon ruffles, and I wanted to sew up something that used a pattern. So yesterday I stopped by my (over-priced) neighborhood fabric shop, and picked up not only a couple of awesome fabrics for me (black and white stripes and grey - so much for deviating from my dull monochromatic wardrobe),


but also a couple of adorable infant prints - pale pink, and a creamy white with tiny pink circles.

No, I'm not planning on making myself pink pajamas. My cousin is pregnant and due in May, so I thought I would try my hand at making baby clothes. And luckily she's having a little girl, which means a pink dress! Which fits perfectly with the Spring season of her birth! I got the pattern from Made By Rae, and made a couple of modifications. It's free, but for personal use only.

I thought baby clothes would be difficult to make because they're so tiny, but they're actually quite easy because they're so simple! No adjusting for hips, waist and breasts, no darts - babies are so easy to sew for! Plus I could add girly embellishments on her clothes too! I added a pink ribbon hem and waist detail, and I modified it to have an open slip in the back that ties up with a little bow - it'll fit her longer, and it's much cuter!

So here you are, my first effort at sewing up baby clothes - not too shabby, if I may say so myself :)

Don't the little tie-straps look like bunny ears?

A cute bunny!

The slit in the back with the little bow-tie, and the satin detailing at the waist.

I'm not crazy about the flash effect, 
but it does show off the satin hem and waist, 
and it's not blurry.


What do you think? Won't little Marta look just precious? 

7 comments:

That Kind of Girl said...

Oh my gosh, that dress is ADORABLE! I love that the pink ribbon tie make the bunny's "whiskers"!

Julia said...

hehe i hadn't noticed that! i almost like the dress better with the straps untied (when they look like bunny ears) but then the dress would keep falling down!

good thing it's still precious with the little shoulder bows! :)

Kelly L said...

Oh, that is too cute!

Desiree said...

That is the cutest thing EVER! I have always wanted to learn how to sew but have been so intimidated. I remember reading something about alterations, that if you knew how easy it was you'd never take your clothes to the tailor again.

Honestly, how hard is it to learn to sew with zero, I mean ZERO experience? How long did it take you to learn to sew a straight line, etc? Oh, and I love the ruffles you put on that t-shirt and sweater! That's totally something I could see myself wearing! :-)

Dorkys Ramos said...

So cute! I wish I had skills like that. If it were me, the kid would be walking around in a potato sack with holes cut out. Maybe I'd glue some glitter on...

Awesome job :)

:: Gina :: said...

this is absolutely darling :)

lemeh said...

Awww I'm so jealous, I have no talents!