March 17, 2010

Irish Flags by Babies

I wish I had a photo to show you. I really do. (I have pictures, I just can't show them to you, since I can't post pictures of the kids online).

Today with my class of two-year-old Spanish kids we made Irish Flags. Of course they had not idea that's what we were making - it was just a fun scribbling activity for them - but next week is "Semana Cultural" (Cultural Week) at school, and we're feeling a lot of pressure to produce "cultural" stuff. So out come the green and orange crayons, and outside we go to color in the warm spring afternoon sun. We figured it wouldn't be that hard, and we'd have something to hang up and show the parents.

But, like I said, they didn't really get the whole flag concept. I tried to explain to them to color orange on one side, green on the other, and nothing in the middle - I even cheated and explained "don't color in the middle" part in Spanish - but telling a two-year-old where not to color, is like telling a dog what not to sniff. So our flags sort of became big rectangular Irish-colored abstract art.

Then they started coloring each others' faces. And let me tell you, after twenty minutes in a hot, grubby little hand, a regular wax crayon draws on skin like face paint. But hey, I peace out of there at four on the dot,so it is totally someone else's problem to wash those dirty little faces.

In the end, I'm not sure they really got the whole Irish thing. But but least they had fun.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Julia! This is my 1st comment on your blog -which is, awesome by the way.

I didn't see the 'comment' option under Admission Decision post, so I'm posting it here. Congratulations on getting into Columbia! That's a huge accomplishment, what a great school. I hope you enjoyed your champagne toast and some relaxation time after the stress of the application process!

Go girl!

xox-Robyn

Sam said...

"but telling a two-year-old where not to color, is like telling a dog what not to sniff" <-- haha, this is hilarious! glad you had fun :)