March 16, 2010

Admission Decision

After months of studying for the GREs,

After hundreds of multiple choice questions,

After too many practice essays,

After weeks of hassling professors for letters of recommendations,

After days agonizing over every word in my statements of purpose,

After filling out countless forms, with the same information, over and over again,

After dozens of times, checking and re-checking to make sure every application was complete,

After months of endless limbo, waiting to hear back,

And after three disheartening rejection letters...

... today I found out I got into Columbia University!



I still have to hear back from a couple of schools, but I'm pretty sure I'll go with Columbia. :)

I never thought I'd get in. For some reason, I thought I had a higher chance of getting into a sixty person program at the University of Chicago. I'm not sure why, since being one of sixty people chosen would be pretty lucky (and in fact, they rejected my ass), but I figured so many people want to be in New York City and Columbia is so famous that I had a chance in hell of getting in. I guess fewer people apply to the School of International Policy and Affairs - it's not exactly Columbia Undergrad, which gets swamped with (I imagine) hundreds of thousands of applications - but still. To be perfectly honest, I impressed myself.

And I'm excited to live in New York. I scratched my party itch in Montreal, so I think I'll be able to fully appreciate the Big Apple without going completely insane, and after living in Europe for the last three years, I can't wait to have every kind of ethnic food at arm's reach, at all hours of the night. Yum. And I'm extra excited because I happen to have a couple of good friends already at Columbia - not to mention everyone I know and their mother who lives in New York - so I won't be totally lost at my new school.

Now I just have to wait and see if they're helping me out, money-wise. I'm thrilled that I got in, but I'll be a little less thrilled if I find out I'm going to be accumulating over 100k in debt over the next two years.

Well, I'll just have to wait and see. In the mean time, I'm off to buy a bottle of bubbly to celebrate!

22 comments:

Anasthaesium said...

Columbia????jesus!! you are an IVY girl now!!awesome...go get drunk you!! :)

Anasthaesium said...

And yeah, you better help me out when I app for Columbia Bschool :)..probably sometime in the next decade though!! :D

April said...

That's so exciting - congratulations!!

New York is incredible - I would love to live there for a while.

Kelly L said...

YAY! Congrats!

Aunt of 14 said...

Awesome! Congratulations-- Columbia is a fantastic school!

Jamie said...

Congratulations!! That is pretty darn impressive, if I do say so myself! And you know what else is in NYC? Me! Let me know if there's anything I can help you out with! :)

JennyMac said...

Awesome Julia! That is such great news. I love NYC too. Celebrating with you!

Sam said...

That is so cool! Congrats!!! I am completely jealous! I thought about applying to grad school there, but then decided more school was not for me lol. Again, congrats!!!

Whitney said...

Holy Crap!

Congrats. That's amazing :)

Classy in Philadelphia said...

Congratulations! That's fantastic news.

Margarita said...

WTG!! That's awesome! Congrats and drink some extra bubbly for me ;)

Molly said...

well done madam! I'm so proud of you and can't wait 'til you're back state side! love you!

Erin said...

Congratulations! We're very happy for you!

Julia said...

Julia...my dream grad school: Columbia University Teacher's College.... Congratulations! You rock, girl! Whoot Whoot!

walkingonsunshine18 said...

CONGRATS!!!! :)

Stephany said...

That's great news. Congrats!

Desiree said...

Hells yeah! Good job, congratulations! NYC for grad school?! Yet again, reason number 637 why you're my hero... :-)

WhimsAndInconsistencies said...

Congrats! I have a friend who graduated from Columbia last May and one who started this fall. They love it and I'm sure you will too! :D

Deidre said...

Congratulations! that's awesome.

:: Gina :: said...

congrats!! =D

-city-love- said...

just found your blog, congrats on the great news!

Brooke said...

Enjoy New York. It's a blast!