February 22, 2010

Weekly(ish) Photo Essay: Madrid With The Boy


 

(this is how kick-ass our weekend was)

So this weekend Valerio came to visit, and we had a marvelous time! We ate a lot of delicious (read: sinful) food, but we walked even more, so (hopefully) it canceled out. 

But, as you can see, this is a Weekly(ish) Photo Essay, so I'll let the pictures speak for themselves!

Saturday:

A ginormous brand new statue of Cristiano Ronaldo in - wait for it - Plaza Ronaldo.
They love this dude here.

Yes. That is a vinyl disc in the side of a building. 
Don't ask. I don't know why.

Hm...What to order, what to order...

 Valerio looking dapper, despite the white balance a wee bit off.

Sunday:

Our amazing lunch of fried calamari sandwiches with patatas alioli...
Although I'm not sure you got a good enough look at those sandwiches,

Before:

Yum.


During:



and After:

all gone! :(

 I am so strong!

A closed store. I wish it had been open. 
I would have loved to see what fancy things 
a store this pretty on the outside had on the inside.

I'm not sure what was going on here... we obviously weren't coordinating.

 But the place we were in, Gran Cafe de Madrid - near Puerta del Sol, was adorable.
The backs of the benches in the booths were vintage Spanish advertisements printed on wood,


for firemen:


and old-fashioned laundry detergent: 

 


Monday:

Not technically a museum. But full of jamon (prosciutto, aka cured ham)
Bocadillos de jamon (little ham sandwiches) and cañas (little glass of beer) for 1 euro each. 
lunch for 2 euro? yum for you and your wallet!

And not only is it that cheap, but they give you free samples along with your bocadillo and caña:


(I was also having fun with my macro setting)

***

Coming soon, Weekly(ish) Photo Essay: Buildings of Madrid. The architecture here is a-mazing. Everything is built in this luxurious, retro, 1920s art deco style - they're almost all either new buildings built in the old style, or the original 1920s buildings beautifully restored and maintained. So lovely. Stay tuned for a virtual walking tour of all of Madrid's prettiest places I wish I lived!


p.s.  I also got a blog award today! yay!

 

From the lovely Sam 
@

Thanks again, Sam!



4 comments:

Amanda said...

these pictures are adorable - I suddenly have the travel bug!

Lisa said...

Love all the photos...the elephant one is so cute! :)

mrs. b. said...

such cute photos! and my little sister would just explode with excitement over the Cristiano Ronaldo statue. she loves that guy, too. :)

Julia said...

oh man, that statue cracks me up!