February 4, 2010

On My Amazing New Job Offer

Next on the menu,  I GOT A JOB! YAY!

(Thanks for all your positive thoughts, again!)


And not just any boring old teaching job, doing crappy in-company business English classes, and getting paid by the hour, I got a real, bone fide in-school teaching job, with kids and everything. I get a monthly salary, benefits, free lunch, and paid vacation tome! It's like I'm a grown up! And this is all thanks to the fact that I was able to stare down a Snooty Bitch Secretary and get my way (and the fact that the girl who's job I'm taking over had to go back to the US for some family emergency - but the fact that I got to stare down a snooty bitch is way more relevant and important, mostly because I get to tell you how it happened).


So a week ago, armed with my moral support entourage of Lorenzo, Paolo, and Filippo (Paolo's roommate), I walked around the city, from language school to language school, dropping off my c.v. (curriculum vitae, aka resume, for you americanos out there who aren't down with the Canadian/European lingo :), and crossing my fingers for a call. I get to this one school, get buzzed it, walking into the office, and have a conversation that goes a little like this:


Me: Hi, I just moved to Madrid, and and I'm looking for a job, so I was wondering if I could drop off my c.v. to be considered for any possible teaching positions you might have.

Snooty Bitch Secretary: Um... ah... yeah. Well, train our teachers here, at our school, and we really only hire the teachers who have trained through us, so I really don't think we're interested.

Me: Well, I have don't a full course of TESL training, and I have almost three years of experience, so I'll leave you my c.v. anyway, and maybe your boss can take a look at it.

Snooty Bitch Secretary: *Sighing Annoyedly* Fine. I guess you could leave a copy with me. I guess I could give it to my boss. But we really only hire the teachers who train here, with us. So don't get your hopes up.

Me: Well, *fake cheerful smile plastered across my face* you never know! So here it is! Thanks!

And then yesterday, her boss called me to say that because the American girl who was working at this school had had a family emergency, and needed to go back to the US, they desperately needed a replacement, but - get this - they needed somebody with experience, which is why, and this is verbatim from the boss' mouth, "they couldn't use one of their newly trained teachers, because they had no experience working with kids, and given my extensive experience teaching English to very young students, I was a perfect match for the job."

I immediately did a little "In Your Face Snooty Bitch Secretary" dance, because that is obviously what that conversation called for. But it was obviously a silent dance, since I was still on the phone with the boss man.

Then the school's bilingual program director called me, and yada yada yada, next thing I know, tomorrow morning I'm going in to sign my contract! I would pay gold to go rub my contract in that Snooty Bitch Secretary's face. But unfortunately, I can't afford gold (yet). So I'll just have to put a hex on her with my awesome brain power or something. In the mean time, I can bask in the glory that is having a job with benefits for the very first time. Yay for finally having health insurance again!

Anyhoo. Enough of my blatant self-back patting. Stay tuned for the next episode, in which one lucky winner gets one pretty prize!


p.s.  And on another positive note, this is my 100th post! yay!

6 comments:

♥ Katinka said...

this is so cool! congrats on the new job!

Katie said...

Congratulations! That's very exciting news. Also, I wanted to thank you for your offer to chat--I would love to take you up on that when I'm closer to departure (assuming my plans work out at all). I could definitely use advice and encouragement, so thanks!

Kanwalful said...

Congrats on the new job and the 100th post =)

Caro said...

What a bitch, I am happy you got the job and I hope you get to rub it in her face again.

Julia said...

Congrats on the job! I'm a teacher in the US, but I dream of teaching abroad... ::sigh::

WhimsAndInconsistencies said...

Congrats on the awesome job! It's amazing how those things work out sometimes!