February 10, 2010

If You're Not Happy, Nobody's Happy

"If you're not happy, the kids aren't happy. And if the kids aren't happy, the parents aren't happy. And if the parents aren't happy, we're not happy. If you're not happy, nobody's happy. So our job is to make sure you're happy."

What a great first thing to hear on the first day of my new job.

And things only got better from there. I'm looking at my new schedule, and I see "Break" from 11:00 to 12:00.

"An hour for lunch?" I think to myself. "Awesome!"

And then I notice that there's a two hour time gap between 13:00 and 15:00, when I'm supposed to be teaching the older grades for only an hour. So I ask the girl showing me around what the deal is.

She almost laughed in my face. "Lunch at 11:00? In Spain? What have you been smoking?"

Apparently, that first break - 11:00 to 12:00 - is just a leisurely coffee break to have an informal meeting with my colleagues about our daily progress. Then I have lunch from 13:00 to 14:00. Which is free, btw. And delicious and plentiful. Choice of two entrees and two main courses, sides, coffee/tea and dessert. The only thing missing is a nice glass of Pinot Grigio.

And then I have a class from 14:00 to 15:00.

But still. Two hour-long breaks in my already ridiculously awesome seven-hour work day?

Sweet!

And I get to leave at 16:00. I thought I would be there until at least 16:30. And on Fridays I go home at 13:00. But not before grabbing my free lunch on the way out the door.

Life just keeps getting better.

(Except for those of you easily confused by military/European time. Just subtract twelve. Easy Peasy).

And, as if this weren't all amazing enough, my commute is apparently shorter and less complicated than I originally thought. yay!

UPDATE: I almost forgot the very best part. This job has ... wait for it ... paid spring break!

That's like a paid vacation, but at the same time as spring break! It's a totally awesome (and real, I think) Spanish holiday - Semana Santa, or Holy Week. I'm not sure what's so holy about the last week of March, but they could call it Hell on Earth Week for all I care, cause from March 26 to April 5 I get paid to be on vacation, for no particular reason at all!

Ok. I lied. It's not actually spring break. And it is for a "particular" reason. It's called Semana Santa because it's the week before Easter. But still. I have a ten day vacation for Easter. God I love how Catholic Western Europe still is!

I just want to say, Thanks Snooty Bitch Secretary, this job is awesome.

6 comments:

Suz said...

I. am. so. jealous.

Hang on to that job!

Julia said...

I, too, am jealous. You are living my dream of teaching abroad... and you're making me think more and more that I should just do it.

Rachael said...

I just found your blog and I've loved catching up! I can't wait to hear more about your adventures in Madrid (wish I was there too!).

Stephany said...

Wow, your job sounds totally awesome and I'm a little jealous. It seems like an awesome opportunity and I can't wait to hear more!

mrs. b. said...

how awesome! so glad you are livin' the dream! :)

Stephen K said...

Ah the joys of the siesta culture, I guess :D