February 18, 2010

Cooking By Candlelight

Believe me. It is not as romantic as it sounds.

First of all, the only reason I've been forced to cook by candlelight is because the power in my entire building (which is approximately 48 apartments) has been out for over an hour* and the doorman/super is running around trying to figure out why. Now when the guy who's in charge of building maintenance can't figure out why there's no electricity in the building that gets me a little concerned. Secondly, I'm alone. One of my roommates is in Peru, and the other one is at work. So aside from having spent the whole day battling a child-induced cold so I could go to work and just get sick again tomorrow, I've also found myself alone in a black out. There's obviously nothing reasonably scary about this, but it still isn't my definition of fun. Third, the only candles I could find by the weak light of my cell phone were festive, colorful, scented candles, which I can't stand. Try cooking up some chicken - luckily we have a gas stove - by the cloying smell of Spiced Orange and Orchard Apple. Gross. Unfortunately, it was that, or sit in the dark without food and internet for who knows how long. And I was hungry.

Needless to say, this little episode has made me realize just how much we take for granted. And that people from the 1800s (and before) were very creative in coming up with ways to be entertained. The only thing I'll be able to do after my laptop runs out of batteries is read or write (on paper, obviously). I have no supplies to do anything creative 19th century style, like knit, or embroider, or play the piano while my sisters sing in harmony (fine, so what if my idea of 19th century living is straight out of a Jane Austen novel?). And everything that my contemporary culture deems entertaining runs on electricity. No movies, music, internet, games, or social networking for me. I don't even have twitter on my phone.

 (I look like this when I write by candlelight)
{via}

(By the way, it's like my computer knows there's a problem, and is actively trying to find a solution. Last time I checked the battery life, I had 2:57 left. Ten minutes later, I had 3:01. And now I have 3:31 left. Even after working on it for fifteen minutes! Yay for my little acer aspire one!)

Anyhoo. Being without electricity is pretty boring. I'm probably going to go brush my teeth soon (at least we have running water, and a gas heater - so genius - so we have hot water too!) and just get in bed and read by stupid candlelight. I guess this should help me to better appreciate the simple things...or something. 



p.s. Oh man! (Imagine me being really whiny while saying that). I just remembered that without power the stupid fridge doesn't work. And I bought milk and yogurt and ice cream yesterday. That's going to be fun for me to deal with tomorrow morning, if the power doesn't come back on like now

*Obviously I posted this when I woke up after I got power again, this morning at 7:30 am, while I wrote the actual post around 10:00 pm last night. I didn't magically post this without internet :)

1 comment:

Molly said...

Do you have the recipe for crepes that you always make? We made them in class the other day and they were so mediocre that I wanted to cry!